Learning to Cook

It had been a few days since their truce and adapting to their new dynamic had been quite strange, but not altogether unpleasant, Draco definitely enjoyed having Ginny being open and fun again, and Ginny had to admit that she enjoyed Draco's humour when he wasn't being malicious.

It was slow and years of beliefs were hard to get over but finding their common ground was a journey they didn't expect to have fun walking together.

Harry, too, was very enthusiastic, he was starting to walk alone and they would often leave him in front of the couch only to find him holding on to a cabinet on the other side, he also liked to coax Draco into holding him while he walked, leading to the boy later complaining about a hurting back.

"You sound like an old man" Ginny laughed at him as he glared at her from the couch, having decided to lie down and nurse his aching body.

"I feel like an old man" he answered and buried his face into the furniture.

Harry then crawled towards Draco and raising himself he extended his hand towards Draco in an approximation of a soothing motion and beamed when a mollified Draco stroked his head.

Ginny would also take time to teach Harry about shapes and sounds, his most used words were still "Daa" and "Mama" but more and more things had begun to have their own words, he was learning fast as his second birthday approached. Draco would often look at them during their lesson's times, Ginny always seemed so happy, it made him wonder if she would have followed that path, had they not been taken away from their own time. As it was, he simply enjoyed their expressions, calmer than he'd been in a long time.

That day at the end of April, Ginny decided on something.

"I'm going to teach you to cook!" she told Draco and he stared at her blankly.

"That is going to be a disaster" he answered.

"No it's not!" she tried to reason with his pessimistic expectations "We can just make something very simple!"

"Nothing about it is simple," he said, eyebrow raised "This is the first kitchen I ever saw"

That made Ginny laugh, Draco was such a spoilt boy, it was even endearing now that he was trying to change. He stared at her, arms crossed and she forced herself to stop laughing "Sorry," she smiled "But you'll see, we'll make something that Harry can eat too, so it won't be anything too complicated"

He still looked skeptical but agreed, he really needed to learn, he couldn't go without food just because Ginny wasn't there as it had been before.

Ginny beamed "I'm going to get Harry!"

Draco sighed "Salazar give me strength"

Ready to face his enemy, the muggle store, he went to get his shoes.

"I still don't like this place," he told her succinctly. Ginny just laughed as she placed Harry inside the carts' seat.

She then picked her grocery list "We already have some of these, so, we'll need a muffin tin," Ginny said, and indicated one of the aisles "Olive oil, maple syrup, broccoli, eggs, and milk"

"None of those go together," he said, looking at her dubiously "What are you even planning on making?"

Ginny beamed "Macaroni cheese and carrot muffins!"

It still didn't sound very appetizing to Draco but by the way Ginny was looking so pleased with herself, he decided to just go along with it.

Draco considered it a blessing that they didn't have many things to buy, so they just walked along the aisle picking the less expensive ones, a calm conversation about their favorite Quidditch teams from before, he had expected that she would like the Cannons as her brother had but she explained soon enough, she was so passionate about it and the way she talked about the Harpies even made him agree on some points.