Part-25

"Dactar babu humari bitiya theek toh hai na?" asked Trilochan Kaka, to the doctor who was checking an asleep Bela.

"Ghabrayiye matt, sirf mamuli sa bukhar hai." he assured him.

"Aur ye bukhar utrega kabtak?" he asked again. He was worried for Bela. He has been questioning the doctor constantly, since the time he came.

"Jaldi utar jayega Zamindaar babu, aap chinta mat kariye, ek-do din mein bachchi bilkul swashth ho jayegi. Bas usey samay par ye dawaiyan de dijiyega." he said tearing a piece of paper and forwarding it.

"Ye mujhe de dijiye, main uski dawaiyo ka khayal rakkhungi." Bondita walked up to him and forwarded her hand to take it.

"Par aap?" the doctor frowned at her. "Aap kaise?"

"Ji main samjhi nhi." Bondita said being confused.

"Aapko padhna aata hai?" this question was quite obvious for him to ask. Since most women of that time were deprived of education, how could he expect Bondita to be educated?

Bondita smiled at him. "Ji, aap ye de sakte hain mujhe."

"Arey humari bahu rani ji toh Barrister hain!" exclaimed Bihari in between, earning an angry glare from Trilochan Kaka. Because for him, it was not something to lay on thick.

Smiling back awkwardly, the doctor handed over the paper to her. "Maaf kijiyega." he murmured.

"Koyi baat nhi." Bondita said taking the paper from him.

The doctor, having finished his work, walked upto Kaka.

"Theek hai phir Zamindaar sahab, bachchi ka khayal rakhiyega, ami aashi." folding his hands, he took his leave.

Trilochan Kaka, after he was gone, went to Bondita. She was sitting beside Bela but seeing him approach, she quickly stood up.

Kaka began after clearing his throat, "Abse jabtak Bela theek nhi hojati, tumhe ghar ka koyi kaam karne ki zaroorat nhi hai. Koyali aur Bihari sab dekhlenge. Tum sirf Bela ka khayal rakkhogi."

"Aap chinta matt kariye, main baaki kaam bhi dekhlungi." Bondita said, to which Kaka showed his palm.

"Dekha hai humne, kaise do kaam ek saath sambhalti ho tum. Isiliye rehne do."

"Par..." Bondita tried to speak but he cut her off.

"Humne jitna kaha hai, utna hi karo." announcing his final verdict and ignoring Bondita, he sat beside Bela and caressed her hair gently before striding out of the room.

      ☆*☆*☆*☆*☆*☆*☆*☆*☆

Sampoorna was in the kitchen when she heard Surmani calling her. Leaving her work, she rushed to her room, to see what had happened. Surmani, who was sitting on the floor and sobbing, stood up the moment she saw her entering.

"Ye sab kya hai?" Sampoorna murmured when she saw the condition of the room. The wardrobe was left ajar, while the clothes were cluttered all over the room. It was quite messy and untidy. She even noticed some jewellery kept on the bed. It seemed like Surmani had rummaged through it while looking for something.

While she was thinking all these, Surmani went to her and clutched her elbow.

"Ye...ye kya kar rahi hai aap?" she asked being puzzled, trying to get out of her hold.