Part-7

"Tumhe pata bhi hai tumhare against kon lad raha hai?"

"Barrister Anirudh Roy Choudhary, kyun kya hua?" Bondita muttered her reply as she rounded the table to get the documents she required. The hearing was in a few minutes and she was in a hurry.

"Kya hua? Ye tum pooch rhi ho? Arey ye socho ki abb kya hoga! Barrister Roy Choudhary ko tum nhi jaanti, aajtak apne career ka ek case bhi nhi haare hain!" Rishi, one of her colleagues gasped with widened eyes. If Bondita wasn't in so much of a rush she would've loved to comment on how his dramatics have improved throughout the years of her knowing him.

"Toh thik hai na, mai unhe unke career ki pehli haar dungi." She shrugged, arranging the papers in a neat pile.

"Arey par ye tumhare career ka pehla case hai aur wo kitne experienced barrister hain!" Disbelief dripped from his words.

"Experienced hain toh kya hua? Court mein experience nhi evidence dekhe jaate hain, jo ki unke paas honge nhi." She seemed disinterested in the conversation and hoped to get the same message across but Rishi was adamant on continuing to get on her wick just before the first court hearing of her life.

"Par tum..."

"Par kya Rishi? Aur tumne itni der se ye Barrister Roy Choudhary ka jaap karna kya chalu kar diya hai?" She slammed the pile of papers on the mahogany table. He had successfully made her hackles rise. "Maine kaha na ki mujhe nhi lag raha hai dar, jabtak main sach ke paksh main hoon tabtak mujhe kisi bhi cheez ki fikar karne ki zaroorat nhi, mere khilaf kon lad raha hai ussey bhi nhi. Bhale hi wo Calcutta ke shreshth barrister ho ya puri duniya ke." Bondita bursted with anger.

"Sorry Bondita." He murmured, a small sheepish smile tugging on his lips. He already had been the victim to Bondita Das's fury during his college days. Infuriating her much won't do him much good.

The sudden silence that had enveloped the common room made Bondita realise that her abrupt outburst had attracted the much unwanted attentions of her other fellow colleague.

"Nhi, I should apologize. Maine he tumhe zyada sunadiya." Biting her lips, she uttered in a small, sheepish tone. Embarrassment clear in her eyes.

"Nhi Bondita tumhari koi galti nhi hai, wo actually maine he tumhe darane ki koshish ki, aur dekho tumhe toh zara bhi dar nhi laga. You are a lioness!" He chuckled, earning a small smile from her in return.

What was even happening today? Although she was trying to not give into the all consuming nervousness, and come off as confident, her nerves were still on edge. Excitement was bubbling in her stomach, of standing tall, with her head held high in front of the goddess of justice, to offer her honesty and virtue where those would be measured in the neutral weighing scales of equity and to stand against the injustices and foulness.

But the one thing that Bondita Das was certain about, was that was not intimidated. Not in the least. She knew what she stood for. Righteousness. And she refused to back down when she was not in the wrong.

She was more than ready for this. She definitely was.

___________________ __________________

"Hello Barrister Roy Chou-dha-ry!" A senior Barrister greeted Anirudh.

"Oh, good to see you Barrister Holmes." He replied with a small greeting smile, reserved for his colleagues and people he had any business with, outside his family.

"Am I correct in hearing that you are going to fight against our 'first female barrister'?" He asked inquisitively, stressing his last words.

Anirudh sighed. He was not the one for idle talks.