Chapter 19

Alexis

I wrinkled my forehead and groaned softly when I felt something warm and bright on my eyes. I used my hand to cover the stream of sunlight on my face and lazily glanced outside. I abruptly sat up and grasped the side of my head when it throbbed painfully.

"Shit." I took deep breaths and waited for the throbbing to die down a bit. My eyes scanned around my room.

The interior of the room resembles that of a beach house, with its wooden furniture, sliding doors, and open windows. My confusion further escalated when it dawned on me. Where the fuck am I?

I climbed down my bed and when I looked outside the window, all I saw were palm trees, the pristine seashore, the clear, blue waters, and the amazingly clear, blue sky. I walked towards the porch and realized that only a few cottages were constructed.

"This is a private island," I breathed out and brushed my hair back.

"Correct. I brought you here for your own safety," a voice from beside me answered.

My head snapped towards the owner of the voice and found a dangerous-looking man with amber eyes, sharp and defined facial features, oozing with so much power and command in his white shirt and black slacks.

"Trevor. What do you mean by that--" I was not able to finish my words when I remembered something. "Theo. Where's Theo? How is he? Is he safe?"

I scanned my eyes around the island looking for any room where Theo might be, but Trevor called my attention. "He's not here, Alexis."

My world crashed when I heard those four words. My heart that was so deafening came to an abrupt stop, as my mind tried to understand what he meant by those words.

I turned to Trevor and opened my mouth to protest but he lifted his hand and cut me off. "Relax. He's not here; rather, he's in the underground room we had constructed that will jam all the signal, rendering any tracking device useless. We had to, especially with the kind of enemy after him," Trevor added and I felt goosebumps when he looked at me intently with a blank face.

I was not joking when I said that Trevor is a very dangerous man. I don't know him that much, yet he was able to instill fear in me. How much more for those fools who decided to provoke this intimidating man?

"You have a lot to explain, Romanov, but first, let's get you to Theo."

I nodded and swallowed hard. "Thank you. I will answer your questions later."

The side of his lips twitched into a smirk and nodded. "Good decision. Even if you didn't, we are always three steps ahead." He said softly but was not loud enough to let me hear it.

I just zipped my mouth and followed him. The island offers a calm atmosphere, contrary to the reality Theo and I are in. I let the cold sea breeze enter my lungs and blew my cotton shirt and pants.

Trevor led us to an entrance at the back of the beach house I was currently placed in. Before he opened the door, he turned to me.

"Before I forget, I found a letter back at the cabin. It's addressed to you. Full disclosure, I already know the content and I just want to say, it's all been taken care of. You don't have to worry. We will protect you. You are our responsibility now. Who would have thought that the monstrous fucker would be able to survive? I will make sure to burn him to a crisp if he ever dares to step into my territory," Trevor promised in a dangerous tone, as he stared at me with a hard expression and fiery gaze.

I accepted the folded piece of paper and nodded. I don't think I want to get on this man's bad side. There's no other option but death for people who incurred his wrath.