Chapter 72

From late into the night until the break of dawn, everyone searched the surroundings of the stone bridge many times, and though they were still unable to find even a hint of Sir Xiao's shadow, they were able to find the other two black-clothed men, completely unconscious. These two people were the same as the ones previously captured; they were completely unclear on what exactly happened and could only be sent to Shaolin to be handed over to Miracle Doctor Ji.

As the sky gradually brightened, the small county town, which had been noisy for an entire night, slowly turned quiet.

Wenren Heng silently stared at the river surface, his back perfectly straight and tense, having practically not said a word since last night.

Abbot Ciyuan's party had long already thought of the worst case scenario, and now after an entire night of fruitless searching, they couldn't help but let out a sigh in their hearts, fearing that nothing good had happened to Sir Xiao.

Academy Master Ge didn't want to think of the worst possibility happening and said, "He's that clever, so even if he's been kidnapped, he should still be able to think of a way to escape."

Wenren Heng shook his head, his voice hoarse as he said, "Those who surrounded us last night all carried strong killing intent. They truly meant to kill us on the spot."

"But those people were all drugged and so they couldn't control themselves. Perhaps the white piece changed his plans at the last moment and didn't kill him..." Even as he spoke, Academy Master Ge felt somewhat unable to continue.

They weren't fools. Even if the white piece let Sir Xiao keep his life, it would definitely solely be for the sake of forcing out information about the black piece, regardless of whether Sir Xiao actually knew anything or not, and whether he'd be willing to talk or not. Even if they were able to rely solely on this good move from the terribly wicked white piece, Sir Xiao might still be subjected to a beating, and with his health originally being poor, it was very possible that he wouldn't be able to endure.

Wenren Heng closed his eyes and didn't reply.

Academy Master Ge also knew that this person had probably thought it through and said, "Then this... we've already stayed for an entire night and searched every place that could be searched. Let's still return to the inn first. Maybe he's been saved by someone."

Wenren Heng stayed silent, not speaking a word.

Abbot Ciyuan's party all followed along in offering some advice. If Sir Xiao was truly in the white piece's hands, then it'd be useless to waste anymore time here; it'd be better to use the time wisely to find ways to uncover the white piece. Perhaps with the white piece afraid, the other party would then not do anything to Sir Xiao for now.

Wenren Heng was still for a while. Finally, after giving a look to the gleaming, crystalline river surface, he then followed them back to the small county town.

Upon seeing this, the adventurers knew that they were going to give up the search, and their moods immediately became heavy.

The white piece had already hidden for so many years and, other than personal influence, also possessed frightening drugs and drugged people. Before, with Sir Xiao around, they weren't at a disadvantage, but now with Sir Xiao's life-or-death unknown, in the case that they didn't have anyone who could see through the white piece's next moves, if the white piece once again laid siege with intentions to kill, what would they be able to do?