Chapter 32

Ye You honestly said, “I’ve thought about it.”

He had long known that he couldn’t conceal it from his Senior Brother, so he was especially accommodating and took the initiative to voice his analysis, “After I was injured and lost my memories, the person who harmed me never appeared even up until now. And right as something happened to me, the Lantern-Extinguishing Poison appeared. This is too coincidental. So there’s the possibility I caused my own amnesia deliberately for the sake of participating in this incident. There’s only one thing I don’t understand.”

Wenren Heng said, “You could actually have just pretended to lose your memories.”

Ye You made a sound in agreement and pretended as if he didn’t know anything, showing just the right amount of bewilderment. “Yes, I originally could have just pretended to lose my memories. Why would I really lose them? Is it this easy to induce amnesia?”

This was also the same thing that Wenren Heng didn’t understand.

Exactly what method did his Junior Brother use to induce amnesia? And how did his internal energy become such a mess? And not to mention the burns on his body. If his Junior Brother really did do all that, then he truly was too ferocious.

Wenren Heng let out a sigh in his heart and, in a quiet voice, said, “It looks like we have to wait for you to regain your memories in order to know exactly what happened. Since it looks like there’s a distinct possibility that you were the one who orchestrated this matter, you should practice a little more restraint.”

Ye You said, “Senior Brother, it’s because I’ve guessed that this situation has something to do with me that I want to hurry up and resolve it.”

“I understand.” Wenren Heng’s tone didn’t contain a single trace of blame or disapproval, as if it’d be fine even if the other pierced the heavens. He said, “As long as I’m here, no matter what happens, I will protect you.”

Ye You lowered his eyes slightly, covering up his complicated mood, and said, “All right.”

Wenren Heng looked at his docile Junior Brother and said, “Then first promise me one thing.”

Ye You lifted his head.

Wenren Heng looked into his eyes. “If this truly is your doing, then when you recover your memories, tell me everything from beginning to end. Whatever I ask, you answer.”

“…” Ye You said, “Senior Brother, you’re asking an amnesiac person to make such a promise?” Isn’t that a bit shameless?

Wenren Heng calmly said, “In that case, the chess game will already be over. It wouldn’t matter if everything was revealed then.”

Ye You said, “Then I’ll consider such things once I regain my memories.”

Wenren Heng pressed on the umbrella and moved slightly closer, saying, calmly and evenly, “Since you’re unwilling to agree right now, does that mean you don’t trust me?”

Ye You felt faintly nostalgic at this feeling of being pressured by his Senior Brother, though this method already counted as being quite mild in comparison to before. Previously, they had even traded blows with one another — since the time he returned to the Central Plains and his identity was seen through by his Senior Brother, this Senior Brother of his had wanted to uncover the truth behind his departure that year and had, at one point, almost kidnapped him; although he hadn’t actually been kidnapped, he clearly saw the desire to do so.