17. A Shining Opportunity

"Minju? Hyeji, call my dad!" I ran toward the door. Seokjin followed closely behind me.

I rushed outside into the cold night, my eyes desperately searching for movement. The gravel crunched under every hurried step. My pulse pounding in my head. I heard a strained sound and followed it. Surely enough, under a street light by the bushes were two figures. One, who I recognized as my sister, was struggling against the other. Fiery adrenaline shot through my body before I ran toward them.

Seokjin tried to grab me. "No, let me go!"

I slipped out from his grip. If he wanted to come, that was fine but I couldn't stay behind. That's my sister! I was supposed to look after her and make sure nothing bad happened to her!

Then out of nowhere another figure entered the scene, kicking Minju's attacker away. I heard him yell at her to run before a fight ensued. She obeyed and began running towards us. When she finally saw us, her teary eyes were relieved. She stumbled into my arms, her breaths uneven.

"Eonni!" She bawled. "I was just talking on the phone then a creep jumped me!"

Minju held on to me while we watched the two figures fighting each other. I watched to see if any of the guys fighting were identifiable. But Minju's attacker was hooded. I tried hard to focus on the good samaritan but he was wearing a hat. It was impossible to see anything. The details of his loose green jacket wasn't at all familiar either.

"Yurim-ah! Minju-ya!" My dad ran out to us. I quickly showed him we were both okay and explained what happened. He then instructed Seokjin to take us back inside.

Seokjin did as he was told and led the both of us in with my sister's tears staining my sweater. On our way in, Hoseok had just ran out, almost crashing into us. His eyes were wide with fear but instantly became relieved when he saw us. He quickly ushered us into the building.

When we got in, mom was waiting for us. The woman's face was stricken with worry before our return eased her. Minju finally traded me for my mother and the two embraced with tears. Hyeji joined their tearful reunion. Jimin eagerly probed Seokjin with questions about what happened. I expelled a heavy sigh as I tried to calm the buzz in my body when someone turned me around.

Hoseok pulled me into his chest.

The surprisingly firm embrace made me feel like I was swaddled in a warm blanket. A soft but unbreakable cocoon. I sunk my face into his shoulder and hugged his torso. My nerves already began to calm down. The tremor in my hand, left by adrenaline, subsided.

"I thought they got you." He said. His voice unusually low.

"No, they got Minju but someone out there saved her." I tried to make my voice sound as soothing as possible. Reassuring him that everything was okay. I'd never seen him worry like this before. "Wait, how did you know something was wrong? You weren't here earlier." I pulled away to look at him.

"Oh, I-uh, saw Hyeji and your mom rushing to the rec room. They both looked really scared so I knew something was wrong." Hoseok didn't say anymore than that. I was still confused as to how he could've thought I was taken. Surely Hyeji would've told everyone it was Minju.