Prologue 2

A month had passed since my battle with the High Orc, and I had yet to leave Ordon Village. The damage from the fight was...monumental, and that was mostly because I had enjoyed it and drew it out longer than needed. So, I stayed to help with the repairs.

  During the month, Azrael had explained to me the reason I was classified as an Evolved Monster. When I ate the Rabbit of Gilmesh Forest, I had absorbed its Miasma. I knew that already, but he informed me that because I had no Mana before, my body changed and adapted to the Miasma.

  Typically, a Human who attempted to eat a monster died, but if they survived, they would gain Miasma on top of their Mana. Since I lacked the latter, the Miasma became part of me instead of mixing with the Mana as it would with anyone else. Because of that, I was classified as an Evolved Monster, despite the fact I was actually Human, which Azrael always laughed at and denied.

  I asked him if that was the case why had my status window still classified me as Human before. He explained it was because the Miasma was slowly merging with me, and when it finally did, my status as a Human changed.

  "Though, your status did ask if you were Human more than it told you you were," Azrael mentioned at one point. "Didn't you ever wonder why that was?"

  "I just figured it was because I wasn't from this world and lacked Mana." I had answered.

  "Mmm. I suppose that makes sense. though I would say it was because this world knew what you were supposed to be before you did." I didn't understand that, but I didn't question it further.

  At one point during my stay, I asked the villagers how they knew I was the Rabbit when I hadn't told them. I just wanted to know what made them think that in the first place. They laughed and said my Miasma couldn't be mistaken for another creature, as well as the fact that I showed my true form during the fight.

  I didn't get that, and Azrael had to explain that when my Miasma leaked out, what people saw was the Rabbit. It was why the Humans feared me when they saw me using magic with Miasma. He also mentioned I had gotten lucky that they didn't ask about what he and I called dual-casting: The ability that let me cast two different spells simultaneously.

  As for Nia and I? Well...we were good. Really good. During my time in Ordon, a house had been built for us where we lived and spent our nights together. Some nights, we talked and laughed; other nights we...well, let's just say I was grateful to have my own home.

  Our time together had also given me a new skill. It was called True Love. It was a passive that, on its own, didn't do much. But I discovered what it was one night while Nia and I were messing around. Every time we slept together or partook in acts of intimacy, I would gain stat increases, which hadn't happened before.

  It used to be that I gained stats from kissing and sleeping with a girl, and that was it. After that, I'd have to move on to another to get stat increases. But I didn't have to do that with Nia. I gained constant stats from her. I guessed that was why it was called true love.

  Nia had asked me about kids before as well. She asked me to settle down so that we could stay in Ordon Village and build a life together, a family. I had nearly said yes to the offer, but I remembered who I was and what I had to do. I was the Hero of Love, and I needed to do what I could to get stronger.

  "I don't think I'm strong enough to protect you and a kid," I answered.

  "Not strong enough? Kichirou," she meowed softly as she pressed herself to my chest. "You're so strong. Stronger than anyone I've ever seen. You're the Rabbit, an already legendary creature of lore whose evolved once again to take on this form." She ran her hand down my chest. "You're more than strong enough to protect me and our child."