21. Always After You

Start from the beginning

I cursed myself for turning around more eagerly than I actually planned, for failing one more time to control my composure. It was already too late to hide that stupid smile, especially when I saw her eyes staring back at me, unsuspected of the doom falling upon her.

"Little witch," I exhaled deeply and patted the barstool next to the one I was sitting on, "Take a seat."

Unsure as she was, the brunette witch slowly sat down next to mine. I raised my glass towards her, but she declined the offer.

"Kol, what's wrong? Why did you want to talk about the-"

"Don't say it. Not out loud."

She leaned back a bit, her eyes curiously darting around. Not quite as busy as it was at nights, but certainly it wasn't exactly the safest place to be talking about the current situation.

So I stood up, placed the money on the bar and looked at her.

"We have to go somewhere safe."

"Safe?"

I did not waste a second. Rushing out of the building and making sure she was still following me, I led us through the streets, while doing my best to keep at minimum Davina's endless questions about our destination. I know my silence was not making her feel any better, but I could blame my lack of trust for that. Even a small bystander could be a possible enemy in that bloody city, and I wouldn't risk it.

Not when it was about her safety, that is.

"Kol, enough. What the hell has gotten-"

Catching with the corner of my eye the sight of a deserted alley finally, I pulled Davina along farther away from the crowd squirming in the main streets.

One last time, I checked the around area. Still no one was around. Good.

"Close your eyes," I said.

"What?"

"Darling, please. Cooperate with me."

She frowned. I could tell her mood was only growing more hostile towards me, but then again, that was pretty much the case between us. So to offer at least some comfort to her oblivion, I placed my hand on her cheeks and rested my forehead against hers.

...

....

"... You can open them now."

And she did. As expected, she flinched at the sight of here new surroundings, taking in the silence dominating there, the choir of birds singing in their own rhythm and the wet leaves breaking under her boots.

"What on earth... where are we?"

Frankly, I found her reaction intriguing.

I chuckled softly, "Can't you tell?"

"A forest? But, how? We were just in New Orleans and now-"

"Oh, right. Haven't been in this side yet, huh?" I winked and looked around myself, taking the beauty of nature in, "We are close to the bayou. Have you heard of it before?"

She shook her head.

"It's where the werewolves live."

"So that's safer? Because it doesn't sound like it to me," she crossed her arms and scrunched up her nose, "Besides, it smells..."

"What?"

"... Nothing. It's nothing," she muttered and turned to me as she began taking the first few steps towards the path carved in the forest, "Anyway, can you tell me already? You're making me feel worried."