Ch. 81: Graduation

Start from the beginning

"Where is Asshole, anyway?" Benjamin asked and pulled me back to reality again.

"He couldn't be here. Kinda obvious, don't you think? Imagine the chaos."

"Yeah," he said when he realized that I was right.

"Hey. What about your girlfriend? I was hoping I finally got to meet her," I pouted.

"She couldn't be here. Her dog died, so she's devastated."

"Oh, no."

"Yeah. I switched into an earlier flight because of that, so my plane leaves at 8:40 pm tonight. I'm gonna be there for her graduation next week."

I gave him a sad smile. Sad, both because of his girlfriend's dog and because he had to leave for Denver.

"So you won't be here for the graduation party, then?"

"Unfortunately not."

"FaceTime, then? Then I can see what she looks like, too."

"Oh! I forgot to show you the pictures," he exclaimed, and started digging into his pocket. That wasn't easy because of the long cape, but eventually he pulled it up and started fiddling with his screen lock, and I leaned against him, eager to finally see who she was. But we got interrupted by an old man elbowing Benjamin before he stepped in between us.

"Get the hell away from my girlfriend," he snarled, and we immediately recognized his voice.

"Michael!" I whisper-yelled. "You came!"

"That's what she said," Benjamin chuckled, while I threw myself around Michael's neck.

"Shh! Don't ruin my disguise. Today I'm... Uhh. Jimmy Nicholas."

"Okay, Mr. Nicholas," I giggled and took his hand, and he was quick to entwine our fingers.

"That looks a bit disturbing, Mousie," Benjamin commented, and I realized how it looked. People must think Michael is an old pig. But when I tried to pull my hand away, Michael squeezed it firmer.

"Mind your own business, Dickhead."

Benjamin just rolled his eyes.

"So, did you practice your limp just like you do your Moonwalk?" he teased, and Michael growled an insult under his breath. But I couldn't help but to notice that he was struggling to hold back a smile.

"Where did you get that mask?" I whispered. "It looks so real."

I wanted to touch it, but I didn't dare. People could see.

"Latex," he smirked. "It's a Halloween mask."

I giggled and decided to sneak off towards my family, pulling Michael after me. Yup. The hat was definitely staying on.

"Talk to you later, Benny," I said, but he wasn't done teasing.

"Gotta take another one of those Viagras, old man?"

"Shut! Up!" Michael hissed, and I couldn't help the laughter that bubbled up inside me.

"Hey! Don't forget to limp. Your senile ass already forgot your walker, so if you want it to look authentic..."

"SHUT UP!" Michael and I exclaimed in unison, although me through fits of laughter. But a glare from Michael made me press my lips together and keep quiet.

"I don't want to draw any attention," he said. "It can be dangerous."

And with that, I was serious as a minister in a funeral.

"Are you here on your own?"

"No. Bill, Gary and Roger are here, too," he said and nodded in the direction of the men I recognized as his bodyguards. Then I realized that they were surrounding us from a rather short distance. Neither of them were wearing their usual suits, but I could see their ear pieces, and their attention was locked solely on us.

"Mia! What are you doing here? You should be up there next to the stage with the others."

DeeVana looked confused as hell when she saw me, and even more so when she noticed that I was clinging to an old, wrinkly man.

"What...?"

"It's Michael," I mouthed, and her face immediately changed when a light bulb switched on in her head. Then she started laughing. Loudly.

"Mia, sweetie," mom exclaimed when she discovered I was standing next to them. "I can't believe you walked over that stage all by yourself."

She hugged me and sniffled.

"Mom, I'm not a toddler. You make it sound like I just learned how to walk."

"You know what I mean. Gosh, I'm so proud of you."

She held me at arm's length and gave me the most loving smile, before she looked over my shoulder and frowned.

"Who is he?"

Her eyes darted between Michael and I, and we both giggled. And Michael, being the gentleman that he was, reached out his hand to greet her.

"I'm Jimmy Nickolas, your son in law."

Mom's face... I swear I've never seen her so shocked before. Not even when DeeVana and I hoisted her underwear up our flagpole when we were kids.

"It's Michael, mom. Stop freaking out," I whispered as I leaned close, and she immediately cleared her throat and straightened up.

"Of course. I knew that," she said, but didn't convince a single soul. Dad and DeeVana just laughed. Then our attention was drawn to the stage when we heard a loud roar and people applauding. Hats flew through the air, and the chaos of students and families was complete, and before I knew it my hat disappeared and flew through the air as well.

"No! My hair!" I exclaimed and immediately tried to hide my hideous hat hairdo with my hands. Michael quickly pushed them away and messed it up even more, and when I glared at him I got his usual naughty grin in return.

"Like I've said before; you rock the recently fucked look," he said into my ear, and my face flushed like a ripe tomato. Luckily no one seemed to have heard him. Then I yelped when he squeezed my ass.

"Too bad you don't have any hair to ruffle right now," I mumbled and glanced at him sideways. That mask looked eerily real with only a few straws sticking out from the sides behind his ears, looking like pig hair. "But you know, I can always postpone my revenge."

Michael's smirk grew even wider and he leaned closer and growled into my ear.

"Can't wait."