Donatello (Platonic Scenario - "The Pendulum's Swing") (RotTMNT)

Start from the beginning

Raphael had switched the video game to a single-player mode, and the clacking of buttons filled the silence of your non-verbal conversation.

Your head lowered as if burdened by an unseen weight. Donatello dropped his hand to his side and furrowed his eyebrows. The patience was fleeing his system like a paper boat in the rain. He strode into the room, beckoning to you to accompany him. A modicum of shame crept into your expression, which prompted him to take an agitated step forward.

"Okay, what's the problem?" barked Donnie, tightening his grip on his Bō staff.

Raph jumped and swung his head over his shoulder. The brassy sound of an explosion drew his gaze back to the projection screen, and he expelled a brief whine, head tilting towards the ceiling.

"I was planning on visiting a friend." You hushed your words as if your right to utter them was dubious.

Shock entrenched itself in Donatello's expression, the scientist bellowing "What?" in the middle of a sharp inhale. Panicked confusion overtook his senses in the form of frantic hand gestures. "But--the dark matter accelerator! The ... the high-grade uranium bombs!"

A sleepy Leonardo, who had entered from the direction of the kitchen in his pyjamas, gained a look of profound worry. The cup of coffee in his hand hovered on the edge of his lips. "The high-grade what now?"

A mechanical arm sprouted from Donnie's battle shell and thrust the red-eared slider into the corridor from whence he came, the piercing sound of shattered porcelain marking his success. The softshell turtle leaned forward and held his hands in front of his plastron. "We were supposed to test one today." He spoke like a child crippled by broken dreams, gazing at you in earnest dismay.

You had no recollection of any agreement, but the intensity of his distress implied that your alleged gap in memory was a heinous crime. "I said I'd meet them."

The scientist allowed a noiseless minute to pass before he bared his teeth. "You're turning down my offer to warp the fabric of space?"

Raphael chuckled--a strained, nervous sound--in an attempt to bring humour to the fragile situation. "If they wanna get out of the lair for a few hours, I don't see why not. I'm sure you can manage."

As if he had been slapped, Donatello spun his head towards his eldest brother with a look of surprised wrath. The entrance of Raph into the conversation was viewed as a grave invasion, but the softshell turtle masked his umbrage behind peeved indifference. "This is not about my ability to function." He returned his scowl to you, his voice rising with displeasure. "It is a matter of integrity and betrayal!"

Leo emerged from the shadows of the adjacent tunnel, lying prone and covered in dried coffee. The ice blue puffball on the top of his dark blue nightcap dangled in front of his nose. "Dude, they just wanna have brunch with their friend. Chill out."

A defiant grunt escaped Donnie as he glared at the red-eared slider from the corner of his eye.

"It's not like they're calling them their best bud or anything."

The thought punched the scientist in the face like a heavyweight champion. Panic consumed him in a momentary flash before a look of irate malevolence dominated his features. He raised his Bō staff to his plastron, mustering a tight smile that you supposed he believed was inviting. "I'll give you a ride."