Chapter 41

"Are you three done?" Han asked with a grin as we walked down the steps of the INN to the lower floor. I only glared over at him in response. 

  "Yep," Sora replied with a beaming smile as she wrapped her arm around one of mine. Rubellia did the same with my other arm. "We're all good now." 

  "Mmmmm." I groaned in my throat as I closed my eyes and nearly began to cry. I had, once again, been forced into doing something I didn't want to do. The only upside was that I had gained a large sum of stats. 

  (If you don't understand what I'm trying to get at, then I can't help you, sorry)

  "Let's just go and-"

  "Sorry," Han raised a hand as he cut me off. "But I should probably mention that the God Sky Arena appeared over the city earlier this morning." 

  "What!" Rubellia squeaked in delight. 

  "That means one of the Heros is here in the Raetia Empire!" Sora gasped.

  "Ah, shit. It's here?" All three of them looked at me. 

  "Why do you sound disappointed?" Han asked. "You do know what the arena means, right?" 

  "Yeah. The Heros have been chosen, and soon they're going to fight and defeat the Demon King." The problem was that I was one of those Heros, which I had just discovered from my earlier dream. I wondered if I should have told them then, but I realized it was a waste of energy and time to say anything because they would eventually find out after I was summoned. 

  "Right..." Han trailed off, not knowing what to say afterward. 

  "Does the arena mean we can't do quests?" I asked.

  "Yes, but no," Sora replied. "We can accept quests, but they are put on hold until after the battle with the Heros." 

  "What? Why?"

  "It's just the rules," Rubellia answered. 

  "Yeah, well, they're stupid," I grumbled. 

  "Is that so?" Sora giggled as she pulled on my arm. "Cause I think you're-" Sora's voice vanished as I was consumed in darkness. 

  "What just happened? Did I-"

  "Hello, Acolyte of Love." A mystical voice like a soft mist on hot skin called out. "Welcome to the God Sky Arena."

  "Oh, thank God. I thought I died or something."

  "You mean the place where I have to fight with the other Heroes?" I asked with a grumble.

  "...Yes." The woman replied.

  "Mmm...."

  "...Do you not have any questions?"

  "Yeah. Why can't I see you?"

  "You have no reason to see me." She replied instantly.

  "Whatever you say," I shrugged. She clicked her tongue at that. 

  "Arrogant one, I see. Well, prepare for the battle. It starts..." The voice paused. "Now!" A bright white light blinded my vision. I covered my eyes with my hand until I could look around without being blinded.

  "Yep, this is definitely an Arena." I watched as a gate opened before me to reveal thousands of seats that circled. Columns held some seats higher than others, and people were seated in all seats, not one empty.

  "Welcome all to the God Sky Arena, where we will have our first battle of Heroes!" The Sky cheered in an uproar of voices. "We know it's kind of early, but there is a special someone that we were asked to test. But that's beside the point. You just want to see some fighting, don't you?" The sky cheered again.

  "Man, you people make me sick." My voice echoed throughout the stadium.

  "Oops, guess I have a mic on me..." The sky booed at me.

  "Well, Mr. Hero, what about our amazing audience makes you sick?" The same voice that spoke to me earlier asked.

  "..."

  "No answer? Are you just trying to act cool when you say that?" Everyone laughed. I clicked my tongue.

  "No, I just find it funny how you guys cheer for us to fight while you sit in the stadium like cowards. You're like the people who boast about changing the world but then complain when you have to pick up a piece of paper that's littering the ground. Well, I applaud all of you to come down here and fight me." No one replied to that; the sky was silent.

  "Well, they can't do that. They're just bystanders. They can't fight." The woman replied.

  "That's what I thought." I sneered. "Worms should stay in the dirt to avoid being picked up by a bird. The same can be said about all of you; You should lie low in the crowd so as to not get in my way."

  "Okay, Mr. Anti-Hero," the woman sneered. "Well, this right here is Kichirou Saiyaku. He's the God of Love's chosen hero. In the other corner is Ruth Undre." My eyes darted over to the girl on the other side of the arena. "She's the God of War's chosen hero." 

  "Wait, What?!" Of all the opponents I could have got, it was the God of War's Hero. If I remembered what Stavia said, that hero was always among the top three! They received their power from wars that were going on and the wars that they learned about. 

  "Let the battle... BEGIN!" As soon as the announcer finished, Ruth vanished in a cloud of dust, and before I could blink, she was in front of me. Her hammer came at me at a speed I could barely keep up with, but I managed to dodge.

  "Shit!" I thought as her hammer slammed into the ground where I once stood and left a large crater.

  "Huh, you managed to dodge that? I'm impressed, if only a little," she grinned at me as she raised her hammer for another strike.

  "Yeah?" That was all I could reply with before grabbing Rei and blocking her next attack while switching my class to a Tank. "Well, I'm disappointed." I sneered before slamming my body into her, sending her skidding back a few feet. "I thought you would be stronger than that." She had to be going easy on me. Her attack earlier after I switched to a Tank class felt like it had no power behind it. That meant one thing. She was gauging my strength and abilities.

  "Woah! You're way stronger than I was told you'd be!" Her eyes widened. "Are you really the Hero of Love?" 

  "Well, I'm no Hero," I started as I rested a hand on my hip. "But I was, sadly, chosen by the God of Love to represent her." I sighed as I lowered my body and got into my stance; Rei held in her usual reverse grip. "And on top of that," I narrowed my eyes at Ruth. "I made a promise to her. A promise that I would win this tournament no matter what. So come at me with everything!" A soft blush appeared on Ruth's face as she stared at me. I could tell she was studying me. The way her eyes looked me up and down, she was looking for a weakness—a fault in my stance or armor. 

  "With everything?" She looked at the ground for a moment before looking back at me. "Are you sure you can handle that?"

  "Huh?" My face twisted in confusion. "Of course."

  "You won't die?"

  "What the hell kind of question is that!?"

  "No," I answered. 

  "Great!" Ruth beamed. "Then, with your permission." She took a slow breath in and slowly exhaled. Immediately, the air around her and the arena changed. It grew thick and heavy, and I felt as though I was carrying the weight of a car on my back while struggling to breathe. "I'll let all hell lose!" 

  "SHIT! What did I just do!"