Chapter 32

This time, when I returned to the gates, I was greeted normally. Torappu had gone ahead of me and most likely said they dealt with the monster, so they said nothing about it. There were still people roaming around the streets, though they were primarily drunks who had just come back from the bar and were heading home. Guards patrolled the allies and streets, checking for crimes or suspicious activity.

  I assumed, and more so I was hopping, that the trio had returned to the same Inn we stayed at last time. I was making my way there when a particular conversation piqued my interest.

  "Slaves?" The man in the ally whispered.

  "Yes. I know a guy who sells them." The other man replied.

  "B-But I thought they were-"

  "Shhh," the hooded man silenced the other. "They are. But if no one finds out, how would you get in trouble?"

  "I-I suppose. B-But I don't just want any-"

  "Don't worry." The hooded man reassured the hesitant one. "I assure you the goods we capture are highly desirable."

  "Slave trading?" I thought from where I listened in the shadows. Being a loner had its perks. Almost no one recognized or realized you were there, even if you weren't hiding. "Though looking at the state of this world, I guess slaves make sense." The world was still what we of the current era would have called a third-world country. Except this whole world was third-world. Really, it was my second. Ah, whatever, you get it.

  "We recently acquired something many seek." The hooded man continued.

  "OH! CAT GIRLS!" I almost yelled it out loud and had to cover my mouth to stop myself.

  "You mean-"

  "Yes. We have some Elves. But more importantly, we have the Pr-" I decided I didn't need to hear the rest as I wasn't interested and continued my way back to the INN. The second I entered, I was attacked.

  ""KICHI!!"" The two women who had tackled me cried as they landed on top of me.

  "Ah!" I looked up at them from where I had landed. "S-Sora, Rubellia. H-Hey...Haha..." I laughed weakly.

  "It's not funny!" Rubellia cried, her tears falling on my chest. 

  "H-Hey. What's-"

  "Where were you?" Sora interrupted me. "We thought..." She sobbed softly. 

  "Ummm...Han?" I looked over at him. He was leaning against a wall with his eyes closed and arms crossed.

  "We thought something bad happened to you, dumbass." He shook his head.

  "O-Oh, no, it's a stupid story, really." 

  "Is it?" Rubellia sniffed. 

  "What happened?" Sora asked. "You weren't in danger?" 

  "N-No," I laughed, my mind recalling the memory of the rabbit. I could have died there. I almost did. "The lady who teleported all of you guys kind of ran out of magic and couldn't teleport me before she vanished." 

  "....Really?" Han asked with a soft laugh. "That's sad, dude." 

  "Right?" An awkward silence followed after. 

  "Well..." Han stared at the ground. "I guess we should rent our room now. We were waiting for you, after all." 

  "I didn't like that pause earlier. What did they talk about without me? Eh, not that I care. It was definitely about me, though."