9~Tatters

Jess' POV

When everyone left for home Dan and I talked to each other.

"Are you okay Jess?" Dan asked me.

"I guess." I replied.

"Jess..."

"What do you want me to say Dan? That I just lost a baby, my best friend is in hospital, my fiancee is depressed and my daughter could very well be dead."

"Jess, I want you to tell me how you feel."

"Dan, I want you to tell me how you feel too."

"Okay, maybe I am depressed, maybe my daughter is in a critical position, my best friend is in hospital, but my girlfriend is now my fiancee and this is the start of the rest of our lives. Whatever happens we will always have each other and we can always pull through anything as long as we are together."

"But Dan.-"

"Jess. Shhhh"

I sighed and put my head on Dan's chest.

I was woken up by Dan shaking me.

"Jess" He said "It's Phil."

"What?" I asked.

"He's woken up."

"Really?"

"Yes, I jut went to see him."

"Dan, I need to see him."

"I don't know if you're allowed babe."

"But Dannn"

"I would love to because I know that it will cheer you up. But I don't think I can."

"Can you ask?"

"Fine." Dan kissed me and walked out.

He came back in with a pretty doctor with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Hello Jessie, you cannot go at the moment, but tomorrow you may leave. We just need to monitor you over night. Which does mean that your fiancee here needs to go soon." She told me. " I need to tell you something first though."

Dan sat on the chair next to me and the doctor sat on another chair opposite us.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Elsie."

"What about her?"

"Good news is she is still with us. But the bad news is that she has quite a severe case of Congentital heart disease."

"What is that?"

"It can be many different things, but in Elsie's case her heart valves are not properly formed. We will need to operate on her."

I looked at Dan, my eyes wide open "How did it happen?"

"It could be a whole manner of things, but the truth is we don't really know. It happens early in development, but usually it can be picked up at the 20 week scan."

"Was it anything I did?"

"No, not at all, this couldn't have been prevented. But luckily we can operate in this case. Approximately 9 in 1000 people are born with this."

I put my head in my hands and tried to hold back the tears. Dan placed his hand on my back.

"I will leave you too alone. I am sorry." The doctor said, she left and Dan hugged me.

I started to cry and he held me tighter.

"It'll be okay." Dan reassured me

"No it won't and it was all my fault." I stated, speaking my mind