2.2.20 Chapter 20

Cell 4, Guardian HQ, The Red Desert, Ashien, November 2019

"So nice to be back in my homeworld and to see where the Guardians have been hiding..." remarked Alyssia groggily. Her hands were bound tightly behind her back with the cold metal handcuff's that Vi was all too familiar with. As an extra measure, her feet were also bound with a length of metal, and four Guardians, as well as Vi, were present within the cell.

The Guardians were not taking any chances with such a high-profile prisoner.

Just before she had awoken, one of the Guardians had injected a truth-serum into the blonde woman's arm.

Vi hadn't realised the Guardian's possessed such abilities and it made her wonder why they had not used it upon her and Rho at their trial. Desperate times caused for desperate measures, and with a battle still raging in the other realm, Vi had assumed someone had decided to bend the rules.

Yes, it was unethical, but so was the war they needed to stop.

Vi ignored Alyssia's remark and got straight to questioning, "What can you tell us of Reynold's plans? Where in Azuhelm does he intend to attack?"

Alyssia chuckled darkly "As if I would know that! As you saw I've been somewhat in the dark lately. Literally!"

The Guardians exchanged puzzled looks, which Violet ignored. There would be time for proper explanations later. At least Alyssia was talking and somewhat willing to answer their questions. And, as far as Vi knew, with the serum running through her veins all her answers would be entirely truthful.

"Has Reynold told you anything regarding his plan to invade Azuhelm?" asked the yellow-haired elderly Guardian.

Alyssia paused before responding, "He's been talking about Verdyn's growing 'energy problem' for many years now. Decades even. For a while, it was enough just to take crystals from Azuhelm to meet the College's needs. But Verdyn was growing rapidly and needing more and more crystals just to keep running.

Relocating again was the logical answer. We'd done it once before. Azuhelm, being the most magic-dense was the easy target. But with only two Styders any invasion was doomed to fail...

I did something a hundred years ago or so that mega-pissed him of and so he gave me the wonderful job of collecting and guarding the crystal vault...

When he last visited, he nearly cleared it out, leaving only enough crystals behind to power the College for the next month. He seemed more cheerful than I had seen him in decades, saying the solution to our 'energy problem' was in sight. He explained how fortunate it was for us, that your boyfriend got himself stuck, and you unintentionally did exactly what he was building up to get you to do...

He forbade me from participating in the battle, saying I am too valuable, and the crystals must remain protected...

Taylor informed me how you and Rho were causing them trouble on the battlefield and that my assistance may be needed... And that is all I know..."

Vi ran her fingers through her tangled, chaotic hair digesting Alyssia's answer. "Reynold has treated you horrifically...why do you remain loyal to him after so much time?" she asked.

"Reynold always does what is best for the mages... often, due to the rareness of my abilities, many burdens are placed upon me... we were lovers once you know... and we have too much history between us to part ways..."

"You don't have to defend the bastard here..." spat Vi, "You could always escape and leave him..."

The elderly yellow-haired man stepped forward, and said quietly in her ear, "The serum won't hold for long. Please return to more relevant questioning."