1.2.12 Chapter 12

The Mages College of Verdyn, Verdyn, August 2019.

Violet's time in Verdyn began to pass in a routine blur. Getting dressed in her black uniform a teal belt, looping her mages necklace around her neck, with breakfast with Riley, Magical Control and Elementals with Rho, lunch and swimming in the lake, Teleportation and Telekinesis with Toni, the continued nightmare of Healing with Healer Eliza, Rune Studies with Master Reynold, Verdynian with Allen, evening of doing homework in the library, all analogue, books and pens and paper, no laptops or anything electrical here, walking around the forest, meals floating across the dining hall and hanging out in the students common room. Vi had never known herself to be so busy, to have nearly all her waking hours scheduled and to have such a cool group of people to spend her free time with.

She was delighted when one evening Master Reynold announced that he thought it was time for her to start Stryder lessons. He seemed keen for Vi to start learning how to use her magical speciality, claiming that whilst she still needed to work on her control, learning her Stryder magic would be beneficial to help her master the appropriate use of her powers.

There was only one other Novice Stryder in Verdyn, Master Reynold had explained. Rho and Mallory, being Advanced mages, had already mastered all Reynold covered in his lessons and thus were exempt. And all the older, qualified Stryders were currently "away on Verdynian business" so Reynold, despite not being a Stryder himself was also going to be leading this class.

One Monday morning, after a breakfast of more fruit porridge and coffee, Vi found herself outside an unfamiliar classroom. She pushed open to door, which was engraved with the Wandering Rune, to find herself in a long, rectangular room. Sitting on a desk, near the front of the room was the only other beginner mage, of school age, who shared Vi's uncommon magical affinity.

Vi took some deep breaths. Everyone she had met so far had been lovely. Allen, the only other person not a native Verdynian, she had met so far was becoming a good friend. She had lots in common with the other Stryder, that had to mean something, right? Sure, Rho had called Taylor a 'stubborn bastard' but she had no reason to dislike him.

The other Stryder was a tall, muscular and pale boy of around her age. He had a ponytail of light brown hair, a good covering of stubble, and strong glare. Vi thought that he would be considered superhot by Lily and Matilda back home.

"Hi, I'm Violet, but Vi is fine, nice to meet you," she introduced herself, taking a seat at an empty desk.

"Taylor," was his blunt response.

Vi was not sure what else to say. She had a multitude of questions for her fellow Stryder, but she was reluctant to launch into them, as she had done with Rho. That was different somehow, it had been his job to track her down and persuade her to come to Verdyn. He had kind of been obliged to answer all her questions. This stranger owed her nothing.

"So, where are you from?" she asked softly.

Taylor rolled his eyes. "Can we not do the whole lets-trade-life stories and now we are best friends bullshit?!" he surprised Vi by answering in English. He had an accent that she could not place, German or Swiss perhaps?

"Jeez, sorry, for asking!" replied Vi sarcastically "Perhaps it would be helpful if the only two people in this class were on good terms!"

"I'm busy enough without having to explain how my abilities work to some clueless, overambitious newcomer! Verdyn needs me right now..."

Vi had no idea what Taylor was referring to by the Stryders being needed, or what he had meant by but given his tone, and the impatient way he was kicking his feet against the desk legs, she decided against any other further questions.