2.1.10 Chapter 10

The Mages College of Verdyn, Verdyn, November 2019.

"Thank you all for joining us here tonight," came Reynold's sonorous, magically amplified voice across the packed central courtyard of the Mages College of Verdyn.

Vi had never seen so many people all gathered together in such a small space. The way the crowd jostled and pushed, people shuffling to be neat the front, closest to the steps Reynold was standing upon was not unlike the crowd at the music festival she and Lily had attended the previous summer. Vi's thoughts caught. She hoped that whatever she was up to helping the Guardians on Earth, that Lily was doing OK.

There were thousands of people packed into the courtyard, crammed into the shade of the stone oak, and even more students leaning out of the College windows, looking down upon the scene. Parrie had tried to caution her against it, but when the Guardians had come across posters advertising Reynold's grand open meeting –"Help secure the future of Verdyn" – Violet and Rho had insisted that they attend. So here they were, in disguise, but openly standing as part of the crowd.

Middy, Parrie, and Cary, all in their honeybee forms rested inside Vi's shirt pocket. She took some comfort in that, knowing that if she and Rho were recognised, they had backup on hand.

Also standing in the crowd, with no disguise needed, were Linnea, Theo, Mallory and Riley. Allen was with the other College professors sat on a bench to the side of Reynold's steps. He gave Vi a wink as she caught his eye.

"I understand that many of you must be confused, for an open meeting such as this is a near-unprecedented event in our history!" continued Reynold. "But do not worry, all will soon become clear."

"I have gathered you all here today as we, the Echelon of Verdyn have made a lucrative, grand new discovery –"

Vi jolted, her palms going sweaty. Was Reynold claiming her spell-craft as his own? How dare he! Although, given her recent discovery's about him, intellectual property theft was the lesser of his long list of misdemeanours. But still, she could not help but feel her ire rise. And hear dread about what it meant if Reynold was sharing the news of the portals with the world.

"I am aware of recent rumours," continued the Governor's booming voice "Stating that many permanent portals have been opened in the college grounds, and beyond. I am delighted to confirm to you all that the rumours are true..."

The crowd broke out into murmurs, mages turning and expressing their surprise or 'I knew it!" to their neighbours. Reynold paused, waiting for silence to fall again before continuing, "I have not yet, however, heard a correct rumour as per the portal's exit location. The scouts I sent through for confirmation returned this morning.

I can confirm to all of you gathered here on this fine evening, that the portals we have created lead to Azuhelm. The Southern Archipelago, to be exact."

The crowd against burst into a clamouring of poorly-hushed whispers and exchanges of shock between neighbours. Vi reached for Rho's hand and squeezed it tightly. She was at a loss for words. What the Guardians had been most dreading was coming to pass.

"You may have read news reports lately stating that Verdyn is struggling. Our yields are not what they used to be, our construction delayed, the border towns fading, prompting mass immigration into our city... You may have heard me dismiss these claims as outlandish and scaremongering, and for this, firstly I need to apologise. All of these claims are true. My friends, Verdyn is struggling, and this is a fact that we have kept from you all, and for this on behalf of the Echelon you have my sincerest apologies."

"Fuck his apologies..." muttered Rho to Vi. "What is he getting at?" The three not-honeybees in her pocket buzzed in agreement. The crowd again filled with not-so hushed voices.