1.3.20 Chapter 20

The Arcane Caves, Azuhelm, September 2019.

Vi and Rho stepped forward and found themselves instantly in the resplendent, underground cave on the world of Azuhelm. They had emerged further into the cavern than Vi had been picturing, emerging from the portal next to the glittering underground lake, rather than the location in the photo which showed the lake in the distance. But being a few meters off didn't seem to matter! Vi had done it, she had successfully created an inter-world portal to a location she had not previously been too, and a stable one at that! Vi deactivated the Rune, closing the portal and severing its huge drain on her power. She would have to create another portal later when they were ready to return.

Rho appeared to be staring at the cavern in amazement, the rainbow of glittering gemstones hanging from stalactites and stalagmites surrounding them, the high, rough walls, the rocky, uneven floor which sloped sharply down from the lake. But Vi knew better, that instead of just gawking he was scoping the place out, examining potential hiding locations, hazards and sensing the flow of magic. Which, even as a Novice Mage on her first Mission such as Vi could tell was immense.

Whereas the air, soil and water of Verdyn were said to be infused with vast amounts of magic, the amount of power present, thrumming through this cave was insane, many, many more times than present on Verdyn. Vi could feel the hole in her chest, the dearth of her power resulting from portalling here actually begin to fill up, as magic from the surroundings begin to flow out and into her, replacing what she used up. She placed both hands on her chest and gasped at the oddly warm sensation of power flowing into her. She knew that whilst regaining all of her power had taken a week on Earth and about a day and a half on Verdyn, it would take perhaps an hour or so here.

"Woah, crazy amounts of magic here!" she remarked quietly to Rho.

"Yeah, it makes Verdyn seem almost as empty as Earth in comparison" he agreed

"Ready to start?"

"Yes, seems like we are alone here. No wards that I can detect, let's begin"

Vi was too busy focusing on starting work to notice the top of her bag unfurling slightly and a very out-of-place honeybee emerge.

Middy swooped silently out of Vi's Stryder bag out into the air of Azuhelm. His second new parallel world in two weeks. As Vi and Rho had remarked, the first thing Middy noticed was the heavy magical atmosphere, the richness of power that flowed through and permeated every inch of this land. He marvelled in its potential, of what great feats of magic could be conducted with this amount of power. Whole cities raised from ashes. An entire new order of magical beings created. Plagues healed. Food grown for millions. Or what malicious feats this vast reserve of power would allow for. People enslaved. Wars fought and won. Civilisations destroyed.

What was Reynold planning to use the crystals, and the vast amount of magical power that could be stored within them for? Whatever it was, malicious or magnificent, it was Middy's duty as a Guardian to not allow it to happen. Keep the balance between the worlds. That was the Guardians prime objective.

Rho had been very wrong when he had remarked to Vi that it seemed like they were alone. Not only had his detection charm failed to notice Middy, who was covered with layers of Guardian anti-detection wards, but he also failed to detect the slumbering creature in the lake, which was covered in an immense glamour, strengthened by the thick magical atmosphere of Azuhelm.

Guardians being excellent at hiding, blending in unseen on Earth, were also highly skilled at detecting other creatures who were attempting to remain unseen. They also knew precisely how to shatter illusions that said creatures may be using.