2.1.6 Chapter 6

The Red Dunes, Ashein, 329 years ago.

"Lissa!" yelled Caeli "Lissa, stop, wait, I just want to talk to you!"

Instead of stopping, the pace of Lissa's feet increased. It was early evening, and Caeli had spent far too long hanging around outside the library, hoping she'd spot her schoolfriend and they would finally be able to talk. Lissa hadn't responded to any of her messages and wasn't at home the three times she'd tried going around. This was the last resort, she didn't know what else she could do.

"Lissa, please, I've been coming here for days, hoping I'd see you!"

With the swiftness only possessed by a shifter, Caeli dashed in front of Lissa, blocking her path and making the conversation unavoidable. Lissa came to a very sudden stop. She couldn't dodge around Caeli in the crowded narrow pathway, or do a 180, not without causing an even bigger scene. Heads were already turning their way, curious citizens watching the teenager's confrontation. Caeli hadn't wanted to do things this way, but she had no choice.

"OK, ok, no need to trap me!" said Lissa crossing her arms. It was the first time Caeli had seen her friend properly in weeks and she couldn't help but notice the subtle differences in her appearance. The stray hair poking out of her usually perfect braids, the dark circles around her eyes, her mages necklace worn around her neck, under her grey dress.

"Lissa where have you been? Mr Corvus is convinced that you've come down with a nasty case of splunterguts, but my mother ran into yours at the market, and asked how you were doing and well..."

That had been an awkward conversation, having to explain to her mother that she genuinely had no idea why Lissa's mother had been so shocked and confused and that her friend hadn't been to school for weeks.

"I just needed to take a break from the Academy," replied Lissa finally, eyes not meeting Caeli's.

"Is this about what happened in that teleportation lesson? Mrs Tillow still has no idea how you managed to move that whole bookshelf across the library... I mean that level of magic shouldn't be possible for us novices..."

"No," said Lissa sharply.

"Or is this about when Tedon set his cloak alight in elementals and you instantly put it out for him with some unknown wind charm before the teacher even noticed?"

"No," said Lissa again.

"Or is this about when you moved that crazy-heavy water tank around like it was nothing..."

"No!"

"It's those older mages you keep hanging around with, isn't it? Your tutor and all his friends?"

Finally, Lissa responded with a full sentence, "Reinard has been teaching me advanced magic for a while now, and I have met some of his friends. I've learnt tons of stuff that hasn't been covered at the academy yet!"

"You should be careful around those them! Why would all those older guys want to hang out with you Lissa?!"

"They have just been teaching me some advanced runes! It's nothing like that!"

"But this is more than just knowing the advanced runes, even the teachers were amazed.."

"It's nothing more than extension lessons and lots of practice!"

"Lissa, you can tell me the truth! You've always been brilliant, the best mage in our year, but now... I don't know... something just seems different about you... you're too good!"

"Caeli, nothing has changed, I've always been this good!" replied Lissa smiling, but the joke did nothing to offset Caeli's concerns.

Shit. Caeli was getting nowhere with this. Why did she think that Lissa would just tell her whatever was going on? Cornering her like this was clearly not working. With a sign she moved aside, letting Lissa leave.