2.2.16 Chapter 16

Guardian HQ, The Red Desert, Ashien, November 2019.

Vi stood in the front row of the council chamber, with Rho on one side and Middy on the other as the Harmonizer broke the news to the gathered crowd. Their spies had heard that Reynold was intending to attack Azuhelm at dawn.

A hush of whispers ripped through the crowd, as people turned left and right exchanging expressions of horror with their companions. Vi reached for Rho's hand and found him already reaching for her. They clasped their fingers tightly as if the closer they held each other, the less likely dawn was to come.

Governor Parrie Effi Vista took to the podium. He looked terrible, the deep shadows under his eyes visible in the dim chamber light, and he was still dressed in an all-black, long tunic and overcoat from the mages world. Cary stood at his side, dressed similarly, her blue hair a dishevelled mess.

"What the Harmonizer says is true. We returned as soon as we heard Reynold's announcement to his troops. His forces have all gathered in the fields surrounding the college. They invade Azuhelm at dawn."

"Then we go to the fields and take them fucking down before they get the chance to!" came a voice from the crowd.

"We discussed that, but it would not work," replied Parrie, his voice calm and steady, despite the situation, "The portals remain open. Unless we took them all out, there is nothing to stop Reynold from trying again, at a later date."

Cary stepped forward, her voice shaking "The Echelon has also been sending some of their strongest people through the portals since they opened, as spies. Or sleeper agents if you will. They will join when the battle commences. So as well as those gathered upon the field, we have those loyal to Reynold already in Azuhelm to take down."

"Then take out Reynold!" came another shout "We take down the bastard and stop the invasion before it happens."

It was the Harmoniser who answered this time, stepping back onto the podium. She was still dressed in her usual white tunic, with swinging necklaces, but had swapped the sandals for a more practical pair of boots. And as usual, when she spoke the eyes of all those gathered were drawn to her. "We take down Reynold and another of the Echelon steps up to take his place. They are all utterly determined and true to his cause. The mages will not stop until they have claimed Azuhelm and all its power for their own..." the Harmonizer paused, her golden eyes scanning over the gathered crowd.

"As discussed, we know locations of all exit portals through which the mages will emerge into Azuhelm, thanks to Violet's thorough documentation. We will not stop them from passing through, that tactic was a catastrophe last time. But when they emerge, we will be ready to send the fuckers back! The mages will not take Azuhelm and destroy the balance between the worlds!"

A scattering of agreement echoed through the chamber.

Vi felt the blood rising in her cheeks. It was all her fault. This whole fucking situation, this whole fucking invasion was entirely due to her and the fact that she opened all those fucking portals. After her trial, the reactions of the Guardians had been mixed. Many of them clearly loathed her for what she had done, and the war that she was forcing them all into.

But, as Middy and Rho, and many others had reassured her, it was too late now to worry about the past. She had done what she had done, and that could not be changed. Even the Guardians free magic did not allow for time travel. She had asked. All she could do now was fight and do everything in her power to put things right.

"Those of you joining the battle, gather your things and return here within the hour." stated the Harmoniser, "We will go to Azuhelm and wait to give Reynold a nasty surprise."