1.3.23 Chapter 23

The Mages College of Verdyn, Verdyn, October 2019.

After Calistan's call, they had scrambled back into their clothes. Rho had smugly pointed out visible marks forming along the side of Vi's neck; before she realised that she had left a trail of similar marks on him. Some simple healing charms sorted that out. Vi created a portal back to the college. She had quickly showered, washing all trace of Rho or the grass and earth of the hilltop from her skin.

When they met up again outside of Reynold's office door, Rho cast the Advanced Drying spell over Vi, instantly drying her long dark hair, which she had pulled back into a high ponytail. Vi had not yet mastered Elementals enough to trust herself in casting the drying spell. She had kissed Rho gently, just a brush of her lips against his, before pushing open the door.

"Violet, Rhonan, please take a seat," said Reynold closing the office door behind them with a wave of his hand. Vi and Rho seated themselves in the two now-familiar hard oak chairs in front of his desk, their feet and bags, resting on the fluffy red rug. Reynold, dressed in his usual burgundy outfit, with a silver belt settled into his seat opposite them. Vi hoped that the Governor of the Mages College of Verdyn was unable to read minds, or that they gave away no sign of what they had been up to before he requested their presence.

Reynold wasted no time in getting down to business. He placed a pile of parchment papers and photographs on his desk and leaned forward fingers interlacing. His dark auburn hair glowed red in the bright light of various crystals illuminating the room. Vi thought he looked exhausted, dark circles around his eyes, wrinkles visible upon his olive forehead. She wondered yet again how old Reynold was. No one she had met seemed to know. He could pass for mid-forties, but sometimes, like tonight, the weight of many more years seemed to weigh upon him, and his dark eyes betrayed an age much older than the rest of his visage.

"I have an urgent mission for the two of you. You will leave as soon as you are ready. There is no time to waste. I need you to return to Azuhelm, but a different location and to gather some more items for us. Specifically, red crystals, needed for imbuing."

He slid two sketches across to Vi and Rho. Vi picked up the closest image to her and examined it, whilst Rho looked at the other. The image depicted another cavern, deep underground, rough uneven floor. Unlike the previous cavern, this one contained crystals of one sort only, of hues of pale pink to rose-gold, rather than the sparking rainbow of the previous cavern. This cave also appeared much smaller in size, the image she was examining looked like it had been captured from the centre of the cave and the cavern walls loomed up uncomfortable close, stalagmites and stalactites filling the space. She exchanged images with Rho. The other image was similar, presumably drawn from the opposite direction and showed looming close cave walls, large hanging crystals of shades of pinks and reds. At least this cavern appeared too small to have a lake or within in any kind of Lurker.

"Very few people have previously visited this location. Those are the only two images available, and here is the account by Stryder Alyssia Tiriani detailing her visit. Please read through this carefully. As soon as you are finished please prepare to leave."

"Yes, Sir" replied Vi "Are we to leave other crystals behind this time?"

"No, that will not be necessary. Please work quickly and select the largest crystals that you can find as a priority."

"Sir, is this cavern truly uninhabited?" asked Rho, the incident with the Lurker clearly in his mind.

"Stryder Alyssia recorded no signs of life on her visit. I assure you that incident with the Lurker in the Lake was an unpleasant surprise."