1.2.11 Chapter 11

Bath, UK, Earth, July 2019.

Lily Hale was very, very worried. It had been over a month since she had seen or heard from her best friend. Not since their bizarre conversation and subsequent argument in Henrietta Park. This was not like her and Violet. They had the odd disagreement, usually about boys or TV shows, but never anything serious. And they had never gone more than a few days without one, of both of them calling to apologise. The pair had been inseparable since they met over ten years ago when Lily had moved to Bath and had been assigned to sit next to Vi in their primary school classes. The two bonded over colouring abstract pictures, and their mutual love of stories, both being partially in their own worlds. Whilst Vi was teased by the other kids for bringing her cat into school and not going anywhere without him, Lily had loved Middy and the novelty of the blue-grey tail that was usually curled up under Vi's desk. Lily was the first to jump to Vi's defence when kids from school would unimaginatively call Vi cat-girl.

And then Vi just suddenly decided to "go travelling" for the summer and left. Just like that. Well, she had written Lily a letter, explaining how Gulliver's was forming a partnership with some European hotels and that Vi had been given the chance to go visit them, write reviews, make promo videos and all that. Vi had not messaged Lily at all since she left, and she had not posted anything on social media at all. He most recent post was a photo of Middy in his preferred windowsill spot, and a caption stating he was missing and urging everyone to keep an eye out for him.

The lack of posts was the first thing that concerned Lily. Vi wasn't a selfie kinda person, but she often posted attempted aesthetic photos of scenery and cool places that she visited. Along with lots of photos of Middy. Why was Vi, who was supposed to be having an incredible summer travelling, and whose job was supposed to be promo for the travel agency be completely social media silent? It made no sense at all. Vi had even said recently that she had no plans to go anywhere! 

She had brought it up with Matilda, one afternoon when in an attempt to escape the scorching heat, they went swimming. Matilda had also received a letter from Vi and did not see anything weird about their friend's sudden change in summer plans. In the letter, Vi had said she was forgiving Mattie for getting with Toby and that she was going away for the summer. 

"Vi said she working. She's probs too busy having an amazing time, to contact us!" said Matilda, treading water, with an odd, glazed look in her eyes. And with that, the conversation about Vi was over.

Lily had not told Matilda about the argument and bizarre conversation she had had with Vi in the park, the day before she had received the letter. Were the two things connected? It was too much of a coincidence for them not to be. As she swam up and down, trying to get back into the same rhythm and speed that won her 2 silvers at the last championship, Lily thought back to that conversation in the park. Vi had looked a mess. Dishevelled clothes, hair unwashed, dark circles under her eyes visible when she removed her sunglasses. She did not look like someone who had just been offered an amazing opportunity and was about to embark on an exciting interrailing trip. Nope, she had looked exhausted, and something was clearly troubling her. Vi had even been acting differently before their argument. She had missed the Rainbow Roast's quiz night, (Lily was still annoyed about that. There had even been a science round which Vi would have excelled at!), movie night, and their usual weekly swim. Yes, Vi had had her mind on something ever since they had left school.

Lily executed a swift tumble turn, the sort that had helped her win the silver medals. She thought back to the actual conversation they had had. Vi had been adamant that she had seen some weird glowing symbols, one near the train station, and another in the street near where she worked. Lily had thought back to that often during the last few weeks, and she had found herself wandering over to both locations. She had scoured the now white-washed wall, and the area around the town centre and the fountain and did not see any weird glowing marks. And then there was Vi's claim that she had seen a vase fucking disappear at Clara's party! What the hell was that about! Lily had thought it was just the alcohol and 'special' cigarettes, but she had been just as drunk and high as Vi had been, and she had not thought any objects had disappeared into thin air! She had had an amazing night, and a very... illuminating... conversation alone with Clara Greene.