Chapter 17

===========================♛===========================

The days seemed to fly by. Carl and I hung out as often as we could. We would re-read our comics, talk about Randal, sometimes even about Lori's baby. Aunt Beth wasn't doing so well. I was visiting her now but she wouldn't talk.

"You know, Carl and I have grown close. Not as close as me and you. He loves reading comics with me. And Lori's pregnancy is going smoothly. I miss my favorite Aunt," I smiled sniffling. My eyes were watery but no tears were rolling down my face. I expected her to say "I'm your only aunt" like she normally does, but she didn't. I looked up when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called since aunt Beth didn't really seem to want to talk.

"Hey," Lori smiled at us. Aunt Beth sat up in the bed. "how about this, you, uh, you eat up all your food, we'll get you up and out of here and go take a walk. What do you say? It'll do good to be outside." Lori said to aunt Beth.

"You're pregnant," Aunt beth said. Her hair was in a messy ponytail. Most of her hair was falling out and her eyes were sunken. She was very pale as well. "How could you do that?"

"Here, eat your food," I held a fork with some veggies on it. I knew this was a sensitive subject for Lori.

"Uh, I don't really have a choice," Lori awkwardly said. I put the fork at aunt Beth's mouth but she didn't bite it. instead, she pushed it away.

"You think it'll make a difference?" Aunt Beth asked. Her voice had no emotion. It was like she was a robot. Honestly, it scared me.

"Of course it will," Lori nodded.

"Come on, aunt Beth. if you eat something I'll see if I can sneak some candy up here," I winked. We had a secret candy stash that I added to every time I went on a run with mom. She starred off at the wall, not seeming to care at all. It brought more tears to my eyes. Lori must have noticed this because she held her arm out for me. 

"Come on, Rori. Why don't we leave your aunt to rest?" Lori suggested. I nodded and got off the bed. Lori put her arm around my shoulders and walked out the door with me. As soon as the door was shut, I broke down. "Shh, it's okay." Lori pulled me into her chest. 

My hands clenched her flannel tightly but I was careful not to squish her still flat stomach. "I want her to get better," I sobbed.

"She'll be better before you know it," Lori whispered to me. We stayed like that for a few minutes before I finally stopped crying. I pulled away from Lori with slightly red eyes. She pulled her sleeve over her hand and began to wipe my tears away. "She'll be alright."

"I hope so. I miss my cheerful aunt. Not the emotionless aunt," I said. Lori gave me a small smile.

"Why don't you go see if Carl wants to play a game," Lori suggested. I nodded and walked off still worried about aunt Beth. I walked out the front door towards the tents that laid in our yard.