Chapter 10

===========================♛===========================

"Wait, so if you add 5/6 and 4/6 it's a mixed number?" I asked aunt Beth just to be sure.

"Yes. So, what's the answer?" she asked me. I counted the numbers on my fingers and got 1 3/6.

"I think it's 1 3/4," I said but it came out more like a question.

"That's correct!" Beth cheered.

"Do you know what's going on?" I stopped working on my math to look at T-dog and Andrea who were approaching dad. 

"Where is everyone?" Andrea asked.

"You haven't seen Rick?" Dad asked.

"He went off with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple of hours ago," Andrea shook her head.

"Yeah, you were. What the hell?" Daryl asked, also approaching our group with Carol. 

"Rick told us he was going out," Carol said. Carl and I shared a look of worry. I turned in my seat to look at the group.

"Damn it. Isn't anybody taking this seriously? We got us a damn trail," Daryl growled. "Oh, here we go." Shane came into view.

"What's all this?" Daryl motioned to all the equipment Shane held.

"You with me, man?" Shane asked.

"Yeah." Daryl nodded and took a gun.

"Time to grow up! You already got yours?" Shane yelled to the group. Daryl cocked his gun and followed Shane. 

"Yeah. Where's Dale?" Andrea asked.

"He's on his way," Shane answered bluntly.

"Thought we couldn't carry," T-dog said.

"According to my grandpa you can't," I said, standing up from my spot. Carl stood up with me.

"Kids, sit down," Aunt Beth said. I walked over to the stairs with Carl.

"WE can and we have to. Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't. How about you, man? You gonna protect yous?" Shane asked dad. Dad looked between mom and I before taking the gun. My mouth fell open slightly and my eyes grew large.

"Can you shoot?" Shane asked mom.

"Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight," Mom shot back. I pulled Carl with me and we went to stand by mom.

"You still carrying that gun?" Shane asked, the question directed towards me. I was speechless. How did he know?

"You have a gun on you?" Mom turned to look at me but was interrupted by Lori.