★Twenty-two★

"Ivan" Serene called his name again when he didn't answer her question, she nudged him holding his arms, Ivan looked away from her a look of worry on his face, he tried to pry his arms off her grip but failed.

"You have to leave, this place is not safe, there are eyes everywhere" came his response, even his voice sounded frantic, like he was scared of something.

"I'll be fine. I came to see you Ivan.... Why didn't you tell me my grandmother came here?"  She moved closer to him, so their bodies were barely inches apart, she wrapped her arms around his neck making him to turn to face her.

"Serene.." He groaned, then closed his eyes.

"What? You wouldn't speak with me, aren't you happy I'm here?"

"I am, you have no idea how happy I am to see you,to have you in my arms now, I am elated to see you Serene, your voice has brought the comfort I've been wanting these past months...."
He paused while a sad look took over his features, his arms were wrapped around her body, he pulled her closer to him and Serene grinned her eyes twinkling with joy and love.

"..but Serene, if news gets to your grandmother that you are here with me, we would be in big trouble, my family's wellbeing is already being threatened"

Serene touched his face, the happy smile still gracing her lips, she moved her head closer to his and kissed him slowly.
He kissed her back, his lips moving as slow as Serene's did, his hold on her became tighter and after a while they agonizingly and reluctantly pulled apart from each other.

"I know, but I still wanted to see you, I still hope for a miracle." Serene whispered.

"That's not possible. I think it's best if we don't meet again, we lost Serene. You'll be engaged in two weeks time and we won't be together again" Ivan dropped the news he had been wanting to tell her, his heart picked up its pace as he watched Serene go still, then her face morphed into something he never wanted to see. Hurt. Betrayal. Shock.

"You have given up"  The shock was very much evident on her face, her eyes as wide as saucers, she pulled away from him, wrapping her arms around her body.

"I have not Serene, I still and will always love you, even if we won't be together, and can't be together. Please don't look at me in that manner,and no don't start crying, it hurts me just as it hurts you, it hurts me that I can't fight for us, you don't know how much it hurts Serene"

He moved closer to her and hugged her tightly a tear slipping from his eye.

"Why does it have to be this way?" She sobbed into his chest, her words muffled.

"You have to go" Ivan gently pulled her away from him, he looked at her longingly, his heart breaking yet again as he stared at her teary eyes. 

She nodded quietly tears falling down her eyes uncontrollably, she stepped back and took another step, in no time her retreating form had reached the gate, she pulled it open and stepped out without looking back.

She was out of sight. Ivan wanted to follow her, run after her and tell her to stay, maybe they could both run away and never return.
He knew if he did that, it would mark him as a coward, it would be selfish of them to leave, running away from your problems wasn't the right thing to do. At the end, no matter how long you run, no matter how far you get away, they'll still catch up with you.

So Ivan turned away towards the door that led to his humble abode, where his half blind father sat laid back, his legs were stretched and crossed in front of him, and his eyes were closed. His mother still sat the corner of the room, her hand supporting her head, a sad and broken look on, probably wallowing in pain, remembering how her family's dignity was dragged to the mud.

Ivan slumped into the sofa Serene had previously occupied, what remained of her perfume lingering in the small room, reminding him of how his love long gone.
His shoulders slumped in defeat, and he lowered his head in shame, thinking of how he had failed.

The room was dead silent, except from his father's snores that filled the room, Ivan stood up leaving for his room to prepare for  work.

Life had to move on, though he didn't believe his heart would.