55: A Unique Friendship.

Começar do início

Maria mashed her lips together and paused before she spoke, "Well, Silas and I have decided to get married after Charlie gives birth," She told Elizabeth. Elizabeth's eyes sparkled, "Oh my God! That is such great news. I am so happy!" Elizabeth exclaimed before she embraced Maria in a tight hug. Elizabeth knew that they were going to marry soon but since Maria and Silas haven't spoken to anyone about the exact time, therefore no one was sure when will that happen. Maria laughed, "Yes. So am I," she replied as they broke the hug. Elizabeth held Maria's hand in her, "Wow, you have such cold hands," she joked. Maria snickered, "That is probably because I am so nervous," She replied. Elizabeth knew what Maria was referring to – she has been through a bad marriage with the same person – she was having trust issues and she shouldn't feel bad about it. Elizabeth lightly squeezed Maria's hand in her, "It is okay to feel nervous. It is okay if you are feeling scared," Elizabeth said. Maria heaved and looked at Elizabeth, "Is it?" She asked. Maria was glad she could talk to someone about it – with Charlie being pregnant – she wasn't sure if she wanted to burden Charlie with her own concerns. She was glad that she didn't have to explain her feelings to Elizabeth – she already knew what Maria was talking about.

Maria had tears in her eyes, "It is not like I don't love him," Maria whispered to Elizabeth. "I love him with all my heart – I really do but it is just sometimes – when I wake up in the middle of the night with all the bad memories chasing me – I feel scared. I trust Silas – I really do – I just don't know why I am feeling this way," Maria spoke her heart out to Elizabeth. Elizabeth was actually honored that even after how she used to behalf with Maria and the fact that Silas is her brother – she was still opening up to Elizabeth. Elizabeth felt trusted and loved – something she hasn't feel in a while and even if she did – she doesn't remember it.

In Chicago, Leo sat in the coffee shop with Jennifer – sipping on the hot coffee on a winter's night. For the last one and a half months – Jennifer and Leo bonded a lot. Leo has been helping Jennifer getting away from her abusive ex while Jennifer has been nothing but encouraging for Leo. After Elizabeth left – Leo completely lose himself. He couldn't focus. He couldn't sleep properly. One day when he went to the apartment where Elizabeth used to live – he walked into Jennifer again. She was doing better but Fred was trying to reach back for her and she felt like she was losing to him but thanking the help of Leo – she was able to leave Fred behind and since she is trying to move on. They developed a very unique kind of friendship – they both don't exchange many words or stories of their lives with one another. There were times when they would only sit together without uttering a single word but yet – they liked the silence in friendship – they liked the wordlessness in their friendship. They were both equally weird.

"Are you excited?" Jennifer finally spoke. Leo looked at her and sighed, "I don't know." He replied. He was excited – yes – but he was scared as well. Leo was leaving for New York in a day – he was meeting Jennifer before he goes. Maria begged him to come to see her evening just for a week so, after thinking about it again and again – Leo decided to go and see her sister along with his father for a week. He will be back in a week and then probably just go for her wedding – he couldn't take a long vacation – he actually felt lucky that he was even lucky enough to get a week's off in his profession. Jennifer rolled her eyes and playfully hit his forearm that was resting on the table, "Come on, you have to be – you will see her after almost two months!" Jennifer tried to ignite excitement in Leo but it didn't happen. Leo was more scared than nervous – he was in love with Elizabeth and he just couldn't afford to see her move on or reject him – again. He would have been gone if Maria wouldn't have insisted so much.

"Come on, don't be like this. I am sure she has a soft for you even though she doesn't remember being with you but when I saw her the day she was leaving for New York – I saw something in her eyes for you," Jennifer told him. Leo looked at Jennifer and decided to stay silent. Jennifer realized that there was no use in trying to make Leo feel better so, she sighed. "Well, at least you are getting a week off," she said. "Look at me – I am stressed – I am depressed and yet I can't find a day off. I have been getting so many orders for cakes and stuff at the bakery and now that we have started working on events – I feel like I can't even catch a breath." She told him. "How is it going with your dessert tables and wedding cakes order?" Leo asked. Jennifer shrugged, "Not so good, to be honest. We have worked on a few small weddings or birthdays but nothing major – still it keeps me so occupied," she chuckled.

Leo was silent for a few seconds – his mind was diverted somewhere else. Jennifer waved her hand in front of his face, "Are you still with me?" She joked. Leo blinked and looked at her before he chuckled, "Sorry," he apologized. "I was just thinking about something," He added. Jennifer took a sip of her coffee and raised her eyebrows, "About what?" She asked. "I was thinking maybe you can make a wedding cake for Maria's wedding?" Leo suggested. Jennifer's eyes went wide – she know who Maria and Silas are and she knows how important the people her in-laws and the fact that Leo even offered her to make his sister's wedding cake – Maria and Silas Harrison's wedding cake was blowing her mind off. "Wait – what?" She asked. Leo shrugged, "Yes, she has been eating my brain out about such issues whenever she calls. Leo, I haven't found a dress. Leo, we haven't found this and that – and cake and all that shit – I am telling you she will definitely love your cakes – you are a good baker." Leo told her. Jennifer brought her eyebrows together, "But – she is in New York," Jennifer said. Leo shrugged again, "So?" he said, "I am sure you can come to New York," he added. "I swear, they have all the ingredients to bake a cake," Leo joked. He doesn't usually joke around but he felt a little comfortable around Jennifer. "Here is something, I can ask Maria and if she hasn't found a wedding cake yet – she can talk to you, and if the deal strikes – come to New York with me and meet her in person?" Leo asked – Jennifer was surprised and super excited – she had never baked a cake for such a big name before.

Yesterday Elizabeth and Maria had a deep conversation about Maria's insecurities – it actually hurt Elizabeth to know that Maria thought that way about her and her disabilities and at some point – Elizabeth felt extremely guilty – she knows she wasn't the one who did this to her but stills he believes as if she was a part of it. After talking to Maria yesterday, Elizabeth got a little why Leo felt so strongly about Elizabeth and her family – even though she is not her own sister. Even though she was in no contact with Leo and was in fact quite far away from him – yet she was slowly getting him.

"Elizabeth?" She heard her name being called – she blinked and looked at Marcus – she realized that she was lost in her thoughts. "What do you think about it?" He asked. She brought her eyebrows together, "About what?" She asked, "A getaway at Charlie and Marcus's cottage for Thanksgiving – just us family – us and the Wayne's?" Silas added. Elizabeth hunched, "Wayne?" she asked. Her heart had slowly started to beat fast. Silas nodded, "Yes, don't you know? Maria wasn't feeling so good and she was missing her family so Leo and Franklin are coming here for a week – so, we were wondering if we all should go for a small getaway – you know, no work or any other stress – just us – having our family time," Silas added. Marcus nodded his head – he glanced upstairs where Charlie was in her room – sleeping, "Yes, I mean – Charlie needs to get out before we have our girl – she needs a little vacation – we all do," He spoke.

Elizabeth went silent – she was thinking of her and Leo being at the same place for a day or two – after the kiss they shared – her palms started to get sweaty – she couldn't tell if she was more nervous or excited – she couldn't believe she was feeling a little bit of excitement to know that Leo was coming to New York – Leo Wayne is making her feel nervous – what a strange feeling. Elizabeth looked at her brothers talking to each other, "Yeah man, I mean – I don't know about this stuff and I hate seeing Maria stressed – thank God she found a woman in Chicago that can make our wedding cake." Silas told Marcus. "Chicago? So, that woman will come to New York just to make a cake?" Marcus asked.

Silas chuckled, "Yes, she owns a small bakery and was very excited to know that she will be making our wedding cake and dessert bar," Silas replied with a chuckle. Marcus nodded, "That's good," Marcus replied. I was about to ask Silas more about the holiday getaway he was planning when we heard Katie's voice from upstairs, "Dada, Bear peed in your shoes!" she yelled from upstairs. That dog really doesn't like Marcus.

Marcus angrily slammed the magazine he had in his hand on the coffee table and stood on his feet with a scowl on his face, "Silas, I swear if you bring that dog of yours one more time in my house – you will be banned from entering in my house – forever," Marcus pointed his finger at Silas – who was laughing.

"Go and get that dog of yours," Marcus said to Silas who kept on laughing. Elizabeth couldn't help but chuckle as he saw her brother fight like they always do – she missed this. Elizabeth mashed her lips together and looked out of the window and slowly rubbed over her chest – trying to calm her heartbeat as it was racing in her chest.