41: A Bloody Night.

"You know who I saw when I was coming here?" Rene said to Paige who glanced at her friend before she cut the piece of chicken and put it in her mouth, "Who?" She asked casually. Rene smiled, "Elizabeth Harrison," Rene's answer diverted her attention from food to her friend sitting right in front of her in a fairly busy restaurant. Paige's eyes widened a little as she felt her fingers get a little numb – she would have never guessed her name. "What?" She asked. Rene chuckled and nodded her head, "Yes, I ran into Elizabeth and you know who she was with?" Rene asked again. Paige didn't even try to guess – she just shook her head. Rene sighed, "Leo," She answered short.

Paige frowned as soon as she heard Rene sigh. Paige knows very well how much Rene liked Leo and how he never felt the same for her. Whenever she talks about him – Paige could tell that Rene was hurt. Paige mashed her lips as she looked at Rene as she continued, "You know what? I don't get Leo. He always acts as if he is not interested in being in a relationship but he has been in two since we have met. Am I that bad to be in a relationship?" Rene asked as she dropped her fork on the plate – she had lost her appetite. "First it was that Mia and now Elizabeth," She mumbled displeasingly. Paige knitted her eyebrows together, "Wait – Elizabeth and Leo are in a relationship?!" She asked. Rene looked at her and sighed, "Why else would he take her to his apartment when I know Mr. Wayne is not in town?" She replied.

Paige's eyes widened, "He was taking her to his apartment? Damn, I thought you ran into them on the street or something – Elizabeth and Leo being in a relationship didn't even go through my mind." She replied and leaned back to her chair. Rene nodded her head as she downcast her eyes before she shook her head, "I don't know why this matters so much to me – I mean, I should have gotten over him by now," She mumbled. Paige looked regrettably at her friend. She didn't help Rene either – what she did was inexcusable – because of her mistake Rene lost a friend like Maria and probably Leo as well even when it wasn't her fault – she didn't even know what Paige and David were doing. Paige mashed her lips, "Rene, I am so sorry – this is all happening because of me – if only I didn't –" Rene didn't let Paige complete and sniggered, "This isn't because of you, Paige. I never had a chance, to begin with. Even when everything was okay between Maria and me – Leo never saw me anything more than just his sister's friend and a neighbor." She shrugged.

Paige wordlessly bowed her head. She knows that no matter what Rene says – she is somehow responsible for everything. Rene smiled, "Now, let's eat – and can we please change the topic?" She asked. Paige lifted her gaze and nodded her head with a smile. They changed the topic and talked about random things. Paige knows that no matter how much Rene shows as if she is okay – she wasn't. She was hurt and Paige felt useless because she couldn't do anything to make her friend feel better. She wished that she could talk to Maria and Leo and tell them that it wasn't Rene that betrayed them – it was her. She was stupid enough to be in love with the wrong guy and did what that manipulative man asked her to do. Paige wishes to make things right – if not for her then for her friend. She knows that Rene misses Maria – if she speaks the truth – she does too.

After dinner, Paige dropped Rene at her place and drove back to hers. It was pretty late and also it was pouring hard and Rene didn't want to take a cab back home so she asked Paige to drop her. When she left it was drizzling then and she knew that it could rain so she brought an umbrella with her. She opened it and lifted it. She was about to get in the building when she thought she saw a car with someone in it. She randomly looked at it and halted in her way when she saw Mia in the car clenching the steering while her eyes were bloodshot red. Even though it was pouring hard and the windshield was blurred but she could see Mia in the car. Rene was truly concerned about her – she didn't look well so she did what she thought was right. She walked towards her car and knocked at the window.