Chapter 6

Matt

"Are you guys excited?" Dr. Gray asked before putting on her gloves.

"So excited, " Rachel said.

I saw the worried glance Dr. Gary slid to Rachel and my excitement was quickly turning to dread.

"Breathe in for me," she said placing the stethoscope on her heart.

"Breathe out,"

"One more time breathe in,"

"Okay now breathe out,"

Dr. Gray got up and went into the back room.

"Oh I'm so excited. I wonder if it's a boy or girl. I'm going for girl," Rachel said clapping her hands happily.

"I think girl too," I said trying to focus.

" eekkk but if it's a boy I won't love him any less. Okay munchkin?" She said looking down rubbing her tummy.

I smiled expecting her to say that. It was the cutest thing I've seen today.

Dr. Gray came back out with what seems to be a blood pressure monitor.

"Alright, let's check a few things out," She put the strap around her arm and began pumping. Her eyes getting wide after a few minutes.

My heart was full on racing now.

"Is everything alright?" I asked trying not to think of the worst.

Dr. Gray looked at me her eyes dull.

"Maybe we should do the ultrasound and some blood work before I come to any conclusions,"

Red flag

Rachel being oblivious to what's going on lays back on the chair and follows the instructions. I came beside her holding her hand as Dr.Gray applied the gel.

"That's really cold," she said tensing up.

"It will go away in a few minutes,"

"Alright let's take a deeper look,"

"Oh my goodness I see a little nugget." Rachel squeaked.

" I tried to pay attention but my eyes kept zooming in on the machine number.

111, 114, 117, 119, 123, 121, 124

It was then I knew that something was really wrong and everything seemed to go south when Dr. Gray started talking.

"Your heart beating really fast and your blood pressure is high. Really high."

The hold Rachel had on my hand tighten as she starts to realize what's happening.

"Don't panic it will only make it worse. We're gonna do some blood work. The baby seems fine I'm just worried about you right now. Let's get some tests done,"

She seemed to relax a bit knowing that the baby was fine but that's not enough for me. I need both of them to be fine but something told me that that's was the last thing I'm going to hear today.

A group of nurses came in and took her blood some of them testing for other things. The more nurses that went through the door whether it was to enter or exist the more my heart picked up.

"Matt," Rachel says hesitantly "You're quiet. It's never good when you're quiet. Talk to me,"

I took a deep breath in knowing this wasn't the time to express my concerns

"I'm just think about the gender of the baby," I said as calmly as I could.

"I thought we were both going for girls," she said

"Yeah but now I'm thinking it could be a boy,"

"Really?"

"What you don't want a boy? You don't think you can handle two of us?" I ask trying to lighten the tension in the room.

"Please if it's anything I think you can't handle us girls,"

"Ha sure, I've had two years of practice and trust me it was not easy,"

"Matt!"

"Kidding kidding,"

"Besides I think the best practice was—-"

"Matthew James if anything and I mean anything inappropriate comes out of your mouth I promise you you will not like what I have to say,"

"Yes ma'am,"

The nurses surrounding her cracked a smile before one of them shook their head and continue doing what they were doing.

Just like that my heartbeat went back picking up speed