Chapter 12

Misty

"Ready Misty?"

"Just about."

Lacing up my pointe shoes, I took a deep breath and exhaled. This entire week had been a busy one and it was going to be that way for me, leading up to Christmas eve.

I've literally lost count on the number of photoshoots and rehearsals I've done at this point.

"You look beautiful." The photographer complimented.

"Thank you."

Dressed in a black gown, I made my way to where I was needed to stand and got into motion. As Eric instructed me of what he wanted while taking the shots, I executed them as best as I could.

"Excellent! That's it! A little more lean, very good!"

I gave all I could and some more. This shoot unlike others was special to me. I was offered a piece in Dance Magazine. They had approached my manager at the last minute on doing a feature of me as an ameture on the rise.

"Very good. Hold that pose!"

After a couple more shots, I was finished and was moving on to my interview. Nervous was the last word to describe how I was feeling.

Not only was this my first interview ever, I didn't know what they were going to ask me in general.

"Hi Misty, I'm Claudia." The fair skinned lady smiled as she put out her hand.

Shaking it, I returned the greeting before taking a seat.

"I'm just going to ask a feeling questions, so you can relax, no pressure." She smiled.

"Okay." I nodded.

"First interview?"

"Yes."

"Well I'm happy to get to be the first to cover you on your journey. You're amazing."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"So let's gets started. So tell me about yourself. How did it all start for you?"

"To be honest with you. I started a bit late. It was only when I moved to New York to live with my grandmother at the age of seven was when it somewhat started."

"How so?"

"Well I wasn't born into an affluent family so to speak. My mother noticed I had talent as she was a former dancer herself but at the time couldn't afford for me to get the training. Growing up, I was always twirling around but was a very small framed, timid child and was picked on easily and that's when she sent me to live with my grandmother."

"Oh. So how did you get into dancing?"

"Well my grandmother, though she raised me in a sheltered life so to speak, she always encouraged me to go out and try for parts in school plays and talent shows. She was and still is my biggest supporter. She would make my costumes and everything for me."

"That's beautiful. So training wise?"

Smiling, this was the first time I was speaking on this. No one but Aug and my grandma knew.

"I recently got accepted to Juilliard on a full scholarship."

"Why after so long? I know you're recently turned twenty-three. Won't you say thats a late start?"

"It is but better late than never right." I laughed lightly.

"So true." She laughed as well.

"Once I graduated highschool, I had to go straight into the working world to help support myself and my grandmother. University on any level back then wasn't on my plate though I graduated with honors. I just had to make the choice."

"Then what changed?"

"Honestly. I tried during the years and was turned down by my top dance schools and it broke my spirit to the point where I wanted to give up. What changed was, aside from my grandmother pushing me, I met someone who saw all my potential when it was fading in my eyes and he pushed me to keep going."

"This someone is your boyfriend, August Alsina?"

"Yes." I blushed. "We met at my work and became great friends and it was like my life took a turning point."

"This was with your debut in Chris Brown's video."

"Yes, it started there. August had shown him a video of me randomly dancing and he asked to get in contact with me. I was nervous at first but like all the other times, as soon as I began to dance I just felt free. Then from there, I was approached by Slice Dance Company, signed, and began making a name for myself. It was only when Aug found my crumpled application form, he gave me an ultimatum on applying and well here I am now with that. Going off to Juilliard to perfect my craft."

"You seem rather optimistic about this."

"I have a new look on life at this point. Even during my stint of positive  and life changing opportunities, I was dealt some bad cards."

"What do you mean?"

"Earlier this year I was attacked and badly beaten on my way home. I suffered a dislocated shoulder and two fractured ribs. During my recovery for that, I had to do a routine for my upcoming auditions for Juilliard as much as it hurted me physically. Then when that was over, and I got into a bit of a scoffle with the person who actually initiated me getting jumped and during that she shot me on my right side, thankfully missing major artries."

"Wow."

"My life has never been normal even when I would keep to myself, and now, I've learned to accept it."

"I'm so glad we chose you to do this feature on. Your story will encourage many, believe me."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Now for the fun questions." She laughed.

"What does Misty like to do as a past time?"

"I love shoes shopping." I laughed. "I've always loved shoes and would buy at least one new pair every pay day. My boyfriend says I'm obsessed but he is just the same with sneakers." I laughed.

"I noticed you keep saying 'your boyfriend' and not August, why is that?"

"The world sees him as August Alsina the musician or artist or singer, but I see him as August, my boyfriend, a regular person I have a connection with on another level. Just like regular girls would say their boyfriend or even their husband, its the same with me. We are two regular people who just happen to be in these career fields."

"Speaking of husbands, I know its still early in the relationship, but I have noticed a piece of accessory on your finger." She smirked.

"You're very observant." I laughed. "Its a promise ring he gave me and placed on that finger."

"So there is a possibility then."

"There is. I'm not opposed to it nor am I saying its happening soon. We've both discussed the future and what we expect from our relationship and is working towards that while going and growing with the flow."

"Okay. Now let's touch on some favourites."

Nodding, I ajusted myself in the chair as we continued. I was feeling a lot more confident that before and I was happy about that.