Chapter Twenty-Four: Remnant of Kindness

Start from the beginning

"Allow me to formally introduce myself," you said. "My name is (y/n), the princess of Al-Simr and soon to be the queen of this nation. It is my utmost pleasure to be in your presence." Surprisingly, introducing yourself as the future queen didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. Maybe you didn't dislike it entirely. You only disliked the king.

Their eyes gleamed with adoration at your modesty. They've never encountered a ruler brimming with humbleness. Not like they've been under any other's governance aside from Gilgamesh and his father but what they're seeing right in front of them is the epitome of kindness. And that's when they realized: meeting someone this beautiful inside and out will never happen twice.

Still at a loss for words and the foreign sensation of respect, they remained silent but you saw the glimmer of hope in their eyes—a flicker of flame that ignites the love within your heart. A love that looks good on you exists in Uruk and you can find it among the people. 

As time passed, they eventually started warming up to you which made you so glad in return. You couldn't blame them for building such high walls around them. Had you been in their shoes, you would've done the same. As your conversations shift from one topic to another, you found yourself asking about Ticus's duty at the ziggurat which eventually ended up in a discussion about the king.

"You've been serving the ziggurat even before Gilgamesh was crowned king?" You asked, surprise evident in your voice. Ticus replied with a nod. "That's right, your highness," he said. "I was the previous king, King Dumuzid's scribe during his latter years."

"Is that so?" You asked, sparkles visible in your eyes as you couldn't contain your astonishment. "You must be great at writing, then! For you to have served that long, you're amazing!"

Ticus scratched the back of his head and gave an awkward chuckle. "You humble me, my queen." You shook your head in return. "No, you deserve such praise," you said, giving him a reassuring smile. You wished you could've read what he wrote earlier but you didn't dare bring that up anymore, seeing how light the ambiance is now.

"Well then, I look forward to your new entry tomorrow," you said. "Oh, please take your time, though, no rush. If you're still feeling uneasy, you can always write again the next day."

"Speaking of the previous king, what was he like?" You asked. "Is he Gilgamesh's father?"

Ellia shook her head in response. "King Dumuzid is King Gilgamesh's uncle. His father was the king prior to King Dumuzid, King Lugalbanda." It was your turn to scratch your head. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that," you said as you chuckled in confusion.

"King Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh's father, was courageous and loyal. That said, he ruled over Uruk in peace and harmony for 1,200 years," Elia answered. Your mouth slightly hung open. "Wow, a thousand and two hundred years," you thought. "How could he have lived that long? Is he still alive?"  You listened closely, paying attention to every detail, together with Amad and Aloy as they moved to sit on either side of you to listen to their mother's tale, too.

"When it came time to pass the crown, King Lugalbanda's brother, King Dumuzid was granted the crown though his reign only lasted for a century," she continued. "D-do you have any questions, my queen?"

"N-no, I think I understand it clear now," you said as you looked down to ponder about it a bit and let the information sink in. She smiled and continued. "You know, my lady," she started. "King Gilgamesh didn't use to be like that."

Your head lifted up at her statement. "When the king was a child, he was considered to be a king with aptitude for ruling superior to all others," Elia continued. 

"The epitome of the ideal boy king," Ticus added.

Elia nodded in affirmation. "He was praised and lauded by the people to the point of infatuation as tolerant, sage, fair, and moral," she said. "He was a polite and modest boy."

"Much like Amad and Aloy?" You grinned as you rubbed the boys' heads and pulled them closer towards you. When you looked back at Elia, she was smiling. "He was much like you, my queen."

~~~ Author's Note ~~~

Hello! I'd like to thank everyone for being patient and for the never-ending support^^ Updates will be slow because I often get busy with school too but I will try my best to write updates whenever I can. I'm also working on a new cover for this book. Rest assured, this book won't be abandon. 

Thank you so much and I hope you all stay safe!