The Real Me

Luisa

I was surprised that I wasn't put in prison but given a secure room. I had taken a bath and put on fresh black clothes. My hair had been combed down and tucked behind my ears.

I stood at a balcony, waiting to be called as Lexa spoke with the ambassadors— Clarke was there. The people exclaimed in Polis down below and traded. My arms slid behind my back as figures formed at the stairs.

"Prince Roan of Ice Nation," I mimicked Lexa's words. "Luisa Kane of Skaikru," he replied. I rolled my eyes and faced him in his blue clothing. His face was clean with his sharp beard and cut hair.

"What do you want?" I asked. "Your mother's obsessed with me." He smirked, looking beyond. "We're both prisoners here. Tonight, the clans are meeting and will accept Skaikru into the coalition."

"Of course," I muttered. "They want me to be their nightblood." "Exactly, and you have to kneel to the Commander," he said. "When you do, you'll use the knife under your pillow and slice her neck. Take the throne and rule over the clans and coalition."

"You want me to be your assassin." "Aren't you the executioner?" he raised his eyebrows. I glared at him and entered my room. I went to the bed and lifted the pillow to see the knife. I didn't know he had followed and when I turned, he was close.

He pulled my waist so I could feel his groin and kissed me. My arms raised and rested on his shoulder, to open my mouth.

"Fine," I said. "I have a nightblood class to attend and Titus will be coming so you need to leave." Just as the doors to the balcony closed, the main one opened to show the Flamekeeper.

He led me down the hallways to the throne room where nightbloods who were younger than me sat around the Commander. They murmured at my presence and crouched in the back, paying no attention to her teaching but I knew most of them from Anya. She had taught me to be a leader during my time as a second but that was for one clan, being a Commander would mean ruling twelve clans and the upcoming thirteenth.

"If you were in my position at the mountain, what would you have done?" Lexa asked. The class went around saying the victorious answers and my eyebrows twitched with irritation.

"Kane?" she called. I blinked at her and answered, "Stuck with the plan." It was a simple response which she didn't take but continued teaching. I was absent most of it and reconnected when the class was dismissed. I felt like a student in Earth Skills. I was different from all of them and again, separated from the rest of the students.

"Titus and the scouts will be teaching the natblidas," Lexa said. "You have so much to catch up on but I believe you're a quick learner." I reluctantly followed her out of the throne room and out of the tower. My head turned to see the men in black suits and my father's lips parted when he caught my eyes.

"Luisa!" His voice faded when we entered the sacred temple of the Flamekeeper. It was dark but lit with candles and paintings covered the walls. A ship was in the corner and she faced me.

"Do you know this story?" Lexa asked. "Bekka Praimheda, and the First Nightbloods," I said. "The bombs and how she came down like an angel." "Right here in Polis."

"Wouldn't that make her a Sky Person?" I asked. "If she came down in a ship." "Yes," she said. "She gave us the Flame and we worshiped her. Only the ones with the blood can take the Flame." "Nightblood."

"How does a nightblood end in Skaikru?" Lexa asked me. "You tell me," I said. "I hold the Flame which holds the truth that Bekka Praimheda had a child in the sky. The baby was a nightblood who was given to the other Sky People in ice before Bekka came down. Her name was Bella."