- one

for the most part, walking along the boardwalk and seeing the pretty sight of the beach in the close distance along with the cool breeze would bring yangyang back to pleasant memories

for the most part, walking along the boardwalk and seeing the pretty sight of the beach in the close distance along with the cool breeze would bring yangyang back to pleasant memories. but it felt hard to think of all the times of running past groups of people to find the best boardwalk fries, still feeling the sand on their feet from their sand flip flops, and the rush of pure euphoria just being with kun when it was the exact same place he saw him get together with honghui.

the sun was beautifully reflecting off the surface of the ocean that stretched out far, the seagulls squawking in the distance as they flew in the sky. the sand was hot as ever due to the sun blazing down on it, and yangyang was extremely thirsty that day. he was in a good mood then, but it was ruined seeing kun and honghui kissing while standing in the water, eventually pulling away. the silence between them turned into giggles, their hands holding the other's. yangyang felt all his chances fly out the window, far away from his reach. kun could never be his at this rate.

he didn't like thinking of that time, since the memory was vivid whenever he did think about it. yangyang never really moved on from it, and it still made his heart ache in his chest. the bout of putting himself down following didn't help in the slightest either — honghui was more good looking than him, he was smarter, more funnier, more deserving of kun's returned feelings for him. it made yangyang hurt more.

thankfully, he was cut from his thoughts hearing a familiar tingling noise of a bell as a bike caught up to him. with a small smile, he turned his head to face his friend, lu jian, wearing his usual snapback and golden state warrior basketball jersey he's never not wearing on a sunny day going out to the beach.

"you were taking too long, so i went ahead," yangyang explained off of jian's look. "sorry, jian."

"it's alright, i did take way too long to leave just to get these donuts for us," jian retorted cheerfully, making his friend's eyes go to the deliciously smelling bag of food in his basket. "they thankfully had our favourites for once."

"oh, thanks," yangyang responded, his eyes bright. jian giggled.

"race you to the beach!" he suddenly said, picking up the pace. he was a bit faster with his bike, but yangyang could keep up decently enough, laughing the entire way there. even being with a different person, he thought of kun for a moment, thinking back to all the things they used to do together until honghui came into the picture. the smiles, the laughter, the dumb jokes... they all seemed like distant memories from years and years ago, memories he kept onto because he didn't want to let go of them.

using the advantage of not having a bike, yangyang easily ran down the stairs onto the sandy ground of the beach — not without snatching the bag of donuts first to bring with him. jian pouted, having to properly park his bike at the closest bike rack. "no fair!"

"no one said you had to ride your bike," yangyang retorted, already peering into the brown bag in his hand. "stay mad, loser."

"don't eat mine," came jian's voice from behind him as he finally headed down the wooden stairs.

"i'm not touching your powdered donut," yangyang said, taking out his. sure enough, it was his favourite one. jian actually did remember it and wasn't using his poor memory as an excuse as usual. taking a bite of ever so tasty treat, he handed the bag to jian. after quickly eating, they played around.

running into the ocean and splashing up water at each other as their loud laughter filled the air, trying to build sandcastles (and failing horribly), and attempting to bury each other in the sand. yangyang managed to turn jian into what he proudly calls 'the off-brand version of the egyptian sphynx.'

growing tired as the sun began to set, they simply sat down near the water, not caring if their butts got as sandy as their feet and hands. the near quiet calming noise of the waves rushing up to the shore before pulling back into the rest of the water was nice to hear as they didn't speak for quite a long time.

"how's kun these days?" jian asked, finally cutting through the silence between them.

"happy," yangyang said truthfully. without me.

they were completely fine without honghui being there, always clinging to kun and never letting yangyang and him have some time alone together. because they were in love and whatnot. yangyang was in love too — falling in love with kun was like falling down through a rushing waterfall. the small things like kun flashing him a warm smile every morning while holding a cup of coffee just for him. or whenever he was feeling upset, he'd hug him tightly to his chest and running a hand through his hair, simply whispering 'it's gonna be okay. i'm always here for you.'

it even ended up being the opposite way around — yangyang was holding kun in his arms, burying his nose into his soft hair and breathing in the shampoo he used that day while feeling the warmth of the other against his chest, making his heart beat so loud he was sure kun could hear it each time.

when kun first walked into his life, a few years ago, it was like an angel had fallen into yangyang's life. if a halo were to randomly appear above kun's head, he wouldn't even question it. it'd fit way too well for him. but then honghui, straight out of france, waltzed into their life and never left, eventually starting to date kun. that's when yangyang, still falling down the waterfall of falling in love with kun, hit the sharp rocks at the bottom. it hurt the whole time, of course.

it still does.

jian noticed his friend's look. "for the record, i don't like honghui either."

"it's not that i don't like him!" yangyang snapped, finally cut out of his train of thought. "he's perfect for kun. he's smart-"

"so are you," jian cut in.

ignoring jian's comment, he went on. "-he's extremely good looking-"

"so are you."

"-he speaks french-"

"you speak german," jian said. "a much cooler language if you ask me. french is so lame."

yangyang gave him a look. "shut up, you're not helping. the thing is, they're a match made in heaven. i'm fine, i'll move on..."

his own heart within his chest instead told him: "are you sure?"