5

Encircled Village (4)

Peiyu: “……”

She looked down at the fallen corpse puppet. The corpse puppet’s facial features were festering, and her head looked like a withered grass draped behind her, which was terrifying.

She recognized the rotting corpse.

This corpse was named Hua Niang when she was alive, and she was able to embroider good flowers. She is Sui Nong’s wife kidnapped from another place, and she has been here for many years.

Hua Niang was always smiling, she was a bit heavy, and she used to secretly bring Peiyu and her mother things to eat. Sometimes it is a bowl of porridge, sometimes it is a few buns. For little Peiyu, who competes with wild dogs for food every day, this smiling fat aunt is just as good as an earthly fairy.

But Hua Niang died more than a month ago. After Sui Nong was drunk, he used to hit her with a stick, and her screams rang everywhere, loud enough that the whole village heard. Her son walked slowly past the door and waved to the group of people who pricked their ears to listen to the excitement of good things.

The violence that day was exceptionally long, from midday to sunset.

Hua Niang’s crying and wailing became lower and lower, and finally turned into a weak moan. Peiyu rushed into the yard to stop it, but was kicked out by Hua Niang’s son. No one dared to step forward, except for the old yellow dog who was fed the leftovers several times by Hua Niang. The old dog bit on Sui Nong’s leg tightly, but it was so old that he had all his teeth lost, and Sui Nong smashed it on the head with a stick and it died.

Hua Niang is also dead.

No funeral. That day, Sui Nong’s family cooked a pot of dog meat.

Smells fragrant.

In the usual days when people boiled meat, Peiyu would always squat at the door of that household, waiting for a few leftover bones. But even if those people feed the bones to pigs and dogs, they refuse to leave it to her. So most of the time, she just went to smell it.

Smelling the fragrance, chewing twice with her mouth, as if she had eaten meat.

But Peiyu did not go that day.

She ran to the Houshan mass grave, trying to dig a grave for Hua Niang. She didn’t have a shovel, so she could only dig with her bare hands, until her hands were dripping with blood, and she made a small pit. But she was too weak, Hua Niang was also dead, so that she couldn’t push her body into the pit because of the strength of a child.

The sky has darkened, the mass graves are like fireflies, and the tombs are piled up one after another. Who knows what kind of insects are starting to whine, a bit like many people crying.

Hua Niang was lying on the ground with a big wound on her forehead, her face was covered with blood, and she looked terrifying.

The seven or eight-year-old child is already very tired after doing so many things, no matter what kind of frightening place, she fell asleep leaning on the thigh of Hua Niang.

When she woke up the next day, she found herself sleeping in a bullpen. Two pieces of cloth were wrapped around the injured hand. The four corners of the coarse cloth were embroidered with small flowers, which was Hua Niang’s favorite pattern during her lifetime.

It rained at night, the mud in the mass grave was wet, Hua Niang lay in the mud with her hands folded, her blood on her face was washed away by the rain, her brows were serene, her lips raised, and she seemed to be smiling.