Ch. 30

Mya's POV

"What are you smiling so hard for?" my mom asks when I walk into the kitchen. I slowly turn the painting around waiting for her to look up again from the stove.

When her eyes land on the gold framed artwork she lets out a small gasp and her face grows sad. She smiles solemnly with tears in her eyes. "Mya that's beautiful. Where did you get it?"

I let her take it out of my hands to get a better look. "It's my birthday gift from Blaze." 

"Wow. She really outdid herself," she sniffles as she traces the outline of Mila's figure across the canvas.

"Who outdid themselves?" Mama asks when she steps into the kitchen, her freshly showered wet hair dripping on her shirt.

Mom turns the painting to her and she smiles brightly, taking in her hands in awe. "Did Blaze get you this?"

I nod.

"Damn. She knows how to give a gift," she chuckles. "Where do you want to hang it babygirl?"

"In the living room with the other family photos. Maybe we could move them around and put this one in the center?"

"I love that idea," my mom beams, placing a kiss on top of my head. "Let's do that later today."

I leave the two of them in the kitchen and head upstairs to my bedroom. I start to finally unpack my suitcases from my birthday trip that have been sitting in the corner for a week now. When I spot the skates from Leah it dawns on me that I haven't talked to her since we got back. It was easy to tell that she is in fact bothered by the phone call I got from Blaze or just Blaze in general. I really hope she isn't mad though because I value her friendship and would hate to lose it over something so small. I've tried to make it clear that I'm not ready to date, but I'm sure the kisses blurred the line I was trying not to cross.

My phone rings in my back pocket so I stop my unpacking and pull it out.

"Hi," I smile once the FaceTime call is connected and Blaze appears. I'm surprised she's calling since I was just with her fifteen minutes ago.

"Did you show them?" she asks anxiously which I find adorable.

"Yes and they both loved it. Mama even said you're a good gift giver," I giggle. "We're going to hang it in the living room."

"I'm glad you all like it. That's all I wanted," she smiles. "I was also wondering if you want to spend the night? I could come back and pick you up. We can just watch movies and eat pizza or something."

"Um I would love to, but I should probably stay home tonight and help rearrange the pictures. How about tomorrow?" I suggest.

She looks relieved that I didn't shoot her down completely. "Sure. Just let me know what time you want to come."

"Mya," I hear my mom yell from downstairs.

"Blaze I have to call you back," I say and we end the call.

I stroll downstairs immediately caught off guard by Leah standing at the front door. My mom just smiles and walks back to the kitchen.

"Uh hi," Leah says shyly.

"Hi," I almost whisper. "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah. Could we talk outside?"

I nod and follow her outside for more privacy. Once the door is closed she's stops and turns to face me, rocking back and forth on the heels of her feet. We lock eyes but she looks away quickly, making me nervous.