Chapter 135 - Emma

"Oh, Emma, hi. I'm sorry, I didn't see you," David said and waved with his phone, signaling that he'd been looking at it instead of where he was walking. "It's been a while," he stated, to which all I did was nod back awkwardly.

Yeah, it had indeed been a while, and I'd hoped it would be a long while more. After the creepy vibes I'd gotten from him at the nightclub when he'd warned me about the date rape drug, I'd kept my distance. I'd also told Kevin about it, and both he and Thomas chose to do the same.

Thomas and David had been friends for a couple of years. They used to be tight until Thomas found out how he acted with women, aka me and maybe others as well. A creep didn't become a creep overnight. Sure, David had apologized, and it might've been sincere, but I wasn't desperate enough to have him as a friend to take that chance.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to covertly look around the street, making sure people were around. Luckily, there were still plenty outside. It wasn't that late yet. I didn't think he would do anything to me, but I couldn't be too careful. After all, I might be the cause of the broken friendship between him and Thomas in his mind. In reality, it had been more about his behavior than anything else.

"I'm just out stretching my legs. I only live a couple of blocks from here." He shrugged, but the change in pitch in his voice hinted at that not being the case. I might just be paranoid, but hell, better safe than sorry. The world was a dangerous place for a woman, and we always had to be cautious.

"Well...enjoy your walk," I said and inched away from him towards my apartment.

"Emma, wait a second," he requested, his tone pleading, but I just shook my head.

"I have someone waiting on me, so I need to go," I lied.

He looked sad as I walked by him, and the expression on his face almost made me stop, but I didn't. I might've if it was daylight outside and I'd met him in a place I felt safe, just not here and not now.

Hurrying back to my apartment building, I got inside and locked up after me. My grocery bag was momentarily forgotten as I stood in the safety of my apartment, wondering what David had wanted with me. His expression had definitely been sad, and there'd been an almost desperation in his voice when he asked me to give him a minute of time. It could be possible that I'd wrongly judged him, and if that was the case, I was a complete ass for screwing up his friendship with Kevin's boyfriend. But of course, I didn't have the luxury to not be wary of strangers—no woman had that luxury. It didn't stop me from feeling bad about it, though.

Deciding to let the meeting go from my thoughts, I put on some feel-good indie music on my phone and started making dinner. I soon found out it wasn't the same at all cooking alone as it was with Gideon. While it was great challenging myself in the kitchen and trying to make something I hadn't made before, the joy of it all just wasn't there without him. There wasn't any buzzing beneath my skin like I had when he was close by, and I didn't feel the excitement like I did when I got him to talk by asking questions. I'd started thinking cooking might be my passion as well, or at least something I'd enjoy, but it turned out Gideon was what made it enjoyable.

I was proud when the tacos were finished, and they turned out okay. I'd like to think Gideon would be proud too. Of course, they weren't a Michelin star meal, but they were alright for someone who just learned to cook.

Later that evening, a text ticked in on my phone from a college friend who would also be at school tomorrow. It was from a woman named Malika, asking if we would meet up tomorrow. We were the kind of friends who only hung out at school. That was my own fault after I'd said "I can't" one too many times when she'd suggested going to a café, nightclub, and other fun stuff. I texted her back that I'd meet her at Peet's coffee near campus before classes would start.