Chapter 116 - Emma

"How did you even contact Kevin? I wasn't aware of you exchanging numbers." That was the part I didn't understand. Kevin would've told me if he was talking to any of the guys, wouldn't he?

"Yeah, about that...I got his phone number that one time when I picked you up from work. He gave it to me in case you needed something and wanted me to have a way of contacting him. He's pretty protective of you, you know." Callan's eyes told me he hadn't decided if it was a good thing Kevin was so protective or if there was any competition between them.

"He's kind of like my brother. I'm just as protective of him," I admitted. The truth was, given the shit Kevin had gone through with his family, it only made me want to shield him from as much hurt as I could. It seemed it went both ways.

Callan nodded in understanding. "Anyway, today was the first time I called him. And don't be mad at him for not telling you. I wanted to surprise you."

My stomach growled, and I let out an awkward laugh. "Well, I hope your surprise includes food because I'm starving."

The food was, in fact, included. When we got to Callan's apartment, the smell of chicken made my mouth water. It turned out to be a chicken salad with delicious croutons mixed in, and while I wasn't typically a salad lover, this was perfect. Maybe I'd just been making salad wrong. I'd have to ask Margareta for the recipe next time I saw her.

"How's your day been?" I asked after the last bite. I felt full and relaxed. It was great to put some weight off of my feet.

"It's been good. Got some work done and looked forward to seeing you. God, I've missed you." His words made me blush.

"I've missed you too," I echoed. I hadn't seen him for nearly a week, and it was wonderful being in his company again.

"Did you guys cook together yesterday?" He asked it innocently, but his eyes showed that there was more to the question than that.

"Mhm." I nodded with a soft smile. "It was fun. We made stir fry, and he taught me how to cut an onion. Did you know that a wet paper towel can absorb the acid from an onion so it won't sting your eyes?" He shook his head at my question. "I didn't either. It's crazy. But yeah, he's actually a pretty good teacher."

Something like joy flitted across his face as if hearing how much I enjoyed being with his friend made him happy.

Callan's phone rang and cut off the conversation. Looking at the screen, he answered. "This is Cross speaking." A moment of silence before he said, "I've been expecting them, send them up."

"Who's coming?" I asked when he put his phone back in his pocket. Was this a part of the surprise he had talked about earlier?

"You'll see." He smirked and got up to clear the table. I helped him wash off the plates while he put them in the dishwasher; all the while I was jittery and nervous, not knowing who would show up.

Just as we were done cleaning up, the elevator chimed, and I tensed. Callan walked up behind me as I looked towards the entryway. From the kitchen, I could see the living room and the opening to the entry clearly.

"Relax, I promise this is something you will like," he whispered and then dragged my earlobe between his teeth, making me shudder from the sensation. "Wait here, and I'll go get them," Callan said and walked off to the elevator. Seconds later, he came back with an elderly woman and a man. The latter was carrying a giant black bag in one hand and a smaller one in the other.

"Follow me, and I'll show you where you can put it up." I could hear Callan say before they vanished down the hallway. I stood still, puzzled at what was happening, but luckily, I didn't need to wonder long.