Gandra Dee (Platonic Scenario - "Blue Ribbon")

Start from the beginning

“No, I can’t compete because I don’t have an experiment. Someone stole it.”

The rage faded from Gandra’s scowl, only to resurface in the form of bafflement.

You frowned and began to amble back to the entrance, head hung low. "I might as well see who's taking all the credit."

A spark of alarm erupted on Gandra's countenance. She rushed forward to place a hand on your shoulder and swerved into your path, eyes open as wide as saucers. "No." To quell your surprise, she mustered a consoling smile. "You don't need to waste your time on those blockheads." The chicken directed you at the street and nudged you closer to the sidewalk, limiting your view of her. A twinge of anxiety threatened to encumber the corners of her beak.

Waving a hand, she watched your form shrink into a speck as you trudged in the direction of your home. The unsteady contentment struggling to remain on her face shattered into a peeved scowl. Gandra turned with a swish of her jacket and stormed to the school entrance, shoving the double doors open with a grunt. Her sneakers stomped across the tile floors as a rough clang echoed from behind. Rows of lockers bordered the corridor, but with each step, they lost another feature before dissolving into a blur.

The weathered doors to the gymnasium concealed an abundance of muffled chatter. Gandra visualized a face for the strongest voices, every image twisted by memories of callous judges and accusing classmates. A grumble slipped past her beak as she eased her pace to infiltrate the science fair.

Various sections of the gym were occupied by faculty members and students, excited gestures sweeping the throngs as they huddled around different contestants with anticipation.

An assortment of machines and posters littered the tables, but none evoked more than morose boredom from Gandra. There was not a single face she failed to recognize, only the addition of wrinkles and vanity from cheap triumphs. It fanned the contempt stewing within her gut like a bubbly cauldron. The vexation chewing her muscles rose to a sensitive fury as she met the stare of a familiar pig, her eyes widening in a transient rush of sorrow.

Tammy had matured into a teenager, but Gandra saw the child who thrived where she had languished. An inexplicable pressure invaded her hands, expanding across her palms as if they wielded an invisible device. The ground seemed closer than before, so close that Gandra could outstretch an arm and touch it without bending. Red and orange light pulsed from within the miniature volcano as if beckoning to her. Limbs seized by a rigid stiffness, she found herself marching forward with a pensive expression, one that obscured the chasms of malignance opening behind her gaze.

At the sight of the chicken, Tammy frowned. She crossed her arms and eyed Gandra in displeasure. “Don’t even think about destroying this one.”

The scientist felt her facade quiver. Pressing her hands together in false timidity, Gandra lowered her regard to the volcano. “No, I wanted to apologize.” She tapered her eyes. “You deserve to win this, and I won’t get in your way this time.” Offering the pig an abashed smile, she repressed the stream of quips and taunts bombarding her mind.

Skepticism crinkled Tammy's eyes, and the corners of her mouth plunged further. An aura of irritation surrounded the pig. "Excuse me," she muttered before stepping away with a scoff. As the distance between the girl and the nearest judge closed, Gandra's faux shame waned into malevolence.

The scientist swiped the bottle of baking soda and unscrewed the cap, bowing the container at the peak of the volcano. A white powder gushed forth and flowed into the spout like a stream. Crystalline specks garnished the table as if snowflakes had fallen, but Gandra cast them to the floor with a wave of her arm. She closed the bottle and returned it to its original position.

Tammy pointed a finger at her station, directing the suspicious gaze of the judge. He frowned and expelled a vexed sigh before walking in the opposite direction. Bewilderment flourished on her face, and she turned to find a solitary experiment awaiting her return. The pig scanned the myriad crowds migrating from one table to another. Curious stares greeted her as an audience soon formed around her creation, the frantic motions of her arms having been interpreted as consent.

The judge appeared at the head of the throng. A look of weary indifference adorned his crooked beak, and he clicked a pen. Eyes travelling to Tammy, he stretched his frown as a show of impatience.

Alarm flashed across the girl's countenance. She rushed to her station and plucked an eyedropper from her satchel. “Now, a splash of vinegar.” Tammy examined the instrument with an eager smile, the red solution inside sloshing against the confines of the glass. She tilted the ingredient towards the mouth of the experiment.

Inquiring stares awaited the descent of the liquid. After sweeping across the rim, the wave of vinegar plummeted into the top of the miniature volcano.

Metallic jingling akin to rattling chains thundered inside Tammy's ears before she could register the blunt surface clapping the back of her head. A grey haze smothered her vision that roasted her skin like the desert sun, sparks of red and orange whipping through the opaque vapour extinguishing her breath. The sound of sizzling flesh drew her hands to her face, and Tammy screamed at the agonizing heat that sprang onto her fingers as if it were a starved animal.

A whiff of dust invaded her nostrils and spurred the girl to arch her back, a wheeze dragging a swell of pain from her lungs. She pressed a clenched fist to her mouth, but it did little to obstruct the waves of ash climbing down her throat. As the rancid elements sapped each inkling of her strength as if it were a flea sucking the blood of a dog, a placid voice resounded from the depths of the smoke.

"You have something that belongs to my friend."

The pig raised her head and peered into the darkness with a wary eye, her watery gaze drawn to a feminine silhouette.

Gandra emerged from the billows of smog blanketing the gymnasium like a plague. The dismal air created a murky enclosure around the chicken, her blue eyes illuminated by an unnatural glow. Pockets of ash wafted into her hair and clung to her shirt as she strolled towards the ravaged experiment, arms swaying at her side. The walls of fume blurring her path to the shattered table retreated to larger clouds as if repelled by an unseen force.

She rested a hand on her hip and watched Tammy in disdain. "Well, actually, two things." The scientist crouched and draped an arm over her knee, flashing a supercilious smile. "But I'm just here for this." A cry burst from the pig as Gandra seized the blue ribbon and tore it from her grasp. She rose to her feet and inspected the award with an approving nod, noting the frayed strips and tinge of charred grey. “Thanks for keeping it safe.” The chicken cast a glance at the mewling girl before turning and marching to the entrance.

After the creaking of the hinges faded to silence, the gym was populated by wails and the sobs of those unable to lift themselves from the floor.

* * *

Footsteps tapped the floor outside your room, and you lifted your head with a slight tilt. The sound of wood shifting drew your gaze to the door, where Gandra entered with one hand tucked behind her back.

The bitter stench of smoke permeated the seams of her clothes like a silent admission of guilt, but her pleased smile spoke only of serenity. The chicken approached you with subdued eagerness, her legs twitching forward.

A wandering fleck of ash drew a brief cough from your unprepared lungs. Squinting in discomfort, you peered at her with uncertain perplexity.

Streaks of dusty blue peeked out from beside her waist. As Gandra unfolded her arm, the quiet joy decorating her face evolved into enthusiasm. The shock claiming your expression caused her smile to grow, and she slapped the ribbon onto your desk. "Tammy Jenkins sends her apologies."