27| the first one

THE FIRST ONE 

Laura was watching one of her favourite Gilmore Girls episodes before school as a way to settle her nerves. She had a big day ahead of her. It was a day that Laura never thought would come around, like, ever, yet here she was...mentally preparing herself to tell not one, but two people her biggest secret in the entire fucking world.

So, yeah. Just a little bit daunting then.

It was the annual 24-hour dance competition in Stars Hollow, at which Rory and Lorelai were entering as a mother-daughter duo.

Laura couldn't help but wonder if she and her own mother could ever be like that? Now that they've actually opened up to each other, Laura didn't see why not. It would be a new experience for her, that's for sure. But things were already improving around the house, they were treating her how she always wanted - like a daughter. And Ethan, things had changed for him as well. He was liking not always being the centre of attention, it was a lot of pressure for a middle-schooler and so he was liking the split attention from mom and dad.

From all aspects...things at home were just...better.

Laura smiled and turned her gaze back to the screen, and watched curiously as the long-awaited break-up of Rory and Dean rolled around. Laura smiled.

She watched the lake scene with an aching heart, it was harder to endure than she originally anticipated it would be. Especially considering how close she was too...having it all.

Hope wasn't lost on her though, Laura just needed to tell him the truth and everything would be fine.

Everything would be fine.

Right?

Oh dear god. What if she was making a terrible mistake? What if he and Kate go and tell people how crazy she is? What if she actually becomes a madwoman?

Laura took a sip of her morning coffee, which coincidentally was her third of the day. She'd been consuming caffeine like it was nobody's business since she made the decision to tell Oliver and Kate. Anytime she felt a panic attack coming on, she ran right to the coffee machine.

Noticing the time, Laura shut off her laptop and put in her bag and slung it over her shoulder before walking down the stairs.

Like usual, Kate was waiting for her outside in her car, music blasting from the AUX, reminding Laura of familiarity.

"Hey Laur," Kate smiled.

Laura threw her bag in the back, "Hey. We getting coffee or heading straight to school?"

"Coffee," Kate's face twisted, "obviously."

Laura looked at her as she pulled away from the curb, "Hey...so, how are your parents doing in couples counselling?"

Kate's face lit up, "Oh my god! So much better. I mean, they asked me to join them to see how far they've come, which don't get me wrong, I appreciate, but like...I also don't need to get involved. I just wanted to know if they were getting divorced, not if their sex is still satisfying."

Laura practically choked on the air around her, "What?!"

"Yeah, sex was apparently one of the topics they covered. I love them, but have some privacy for the love of god."