f o u r t e e n

"Are you okay?" Billie asks, looking over at me.

We've been driving for at least four hours, it's already three in the morning. I rub my eyes.

"Yeah, I just have a really bad feeling right now." I say.

"I'd take a bullet for you. No one is going to lay a finger on you as long as you're with me." Billie says.

"Billie I don't want you to get hurt. This isn't your problem, it's mine. I feel like you're taking the weight of this entire situation." I say.

"Do you hear yourself right now Carmen? Let me protect you. Please." She pleads, looking over at me.

We're interrupted by her phone ringing. She grabs it and answers it.

"Hello?" She says. I can hear the other line faintly.

"Keep driving Billie. The farther you take her the more danger you're putting her in."

Billie gets this infuriated look in her eyes.

"Who the fuck are you." Billie says.

"You are interfering." The other line says.

"Is this about money, you fucking morons? I have millions." Billie growls.

"This is about Carmen. I suggest you turn around." The line goes dead.

Billie pulls to the side of the road and rolls down her window.

"Billie, what are you doing?" I ask.

She throws her phone out of the window, then rolls it back up. "We're gonna keep driving. They probably had my phone tapped." Billie says, brushing her hair behind her shoulders and pulling back onto the road.

"Turn around." I say.

"Over my dead fucking body." Billie says, flooring it.

"You're scaring me, Bil." I say, feeling a lump rise in my throat.

"I'm not trying to, Carmen. I just can't believe you aren't fucking scared of this?" Billie exclaims, looking over at me.

"Stop driving." I say.

"Carmen, what?" Billie asks.

"Exit the highway, stop driving." I say again.

Billie says nothing, and exits the highway. We drive for a second then pull up at a new hotel.

"We're not staying here Billie." I say, frustrated.

"I can't drive all the way back to LA. I'm exhausted." Billie says.

"You can stay here. I'm gonna rent a car or something." I say.

"No, I'm not letting you go anywhere alone." Billie parks in the front row.

"You don't fucking own me Billie." I jeer, before opening the car door and slamming it behind me. I start walking towards the road in hopes to flag down a taxi or something.

"Carmen stop this." Billie exclaims, running after me.

"No Billie. I get that you're trying to help, but I am not someone you can just boss around." I say, turning to face her.

"Well you're acting like a dumbass. You won't contact the fucking police about this and now you wanna wait around for them to kidnap you or some shit!" Billie yells.

"Lower your fucking voice." I respond coldly.

"I fucking care about you." Billie exclaims.

"You are being so possessive Billie. Back off." I say through gritted teeth. The cars passing by illuminate her blue eyes. I can't decide if I see anger or hurt in them.

She grabs my wrist tightly. "Carmen. Please stay." Billie says.

"Let go of me!" I yell, ripping my arm away.

"I'll rent you a separate room. You won't have to see me." Billie says.

"Give me a break." I say, turning away.

"Please. One night then I'll drive you home and you'll never have to see me again." Billie says.

I'm quiet for a second. Deciding what to say. I know I can't just rent a car and drive away, or get a taxi that'll drive me four hours back home. I have to swallow my pride.

"Fine." I say, shoving past her and getting my bag from the car.

She quietly follows me into the lobby and we arrive at the front desk.

"Can we have two rooms?" Billie asks.

"We have one room left." The receptionist says.

"Fucking great." I say under my breath.

"It's a room with two queen beds. Will that work?"

"That'll work." I say, taking the key and turning towards the hallway, leaving Bil to pay.

"See you in the room then I guess!" Billie calls after me.