Watched by the World

Start from the beginning

            “Don’t worry,” Nathan said quietly when he felt her tense. “They only hate you because you’ve killed their dreams.”

            “What?”

            “It’s every girl’s dream to marry a royal, rich and poor alike. Most people would accept my fiancée if she was a fellow royal or a celebrity, but then you showed up.”

            “So… they’re jealous?” Brook asked incredulously.

            “Bingo.”

            Brook saw the orphanage come into view. She recited the words Victoria burned into her mind before leaving ten minutes ago.

            Graceful. Refined. Smile gently. Laugh softly.

            The doors swung open.

            Broken toys everywhere. Dust an inch deep on the walls. Cobwebs strewn in every corner of the room as if someone put them there on purpose. The sounds of screaming children down the small hall.

            A tired looking woman with her auburn hair in a loose bun and pale skin greeted them with a strained smile.

            “Oh, it’s an honor to meet you, Mr. Walker and Mrs. Walker,” she bowed. “I’m Tiffany, the one in charge. Right now, we’re short on staff, so I’m the only adult here.”

            Brook barely heard their brief conversation. She watched a couple of skinny little boys poke their heads from behind the peeling plaster walls leading to what seemed to be a mess hall.

            “Is it always like this?” Brook asked in a dazed manner when the two boys ran off to tell everyone else that the “rich people” were here.

            “Yes, well,” the woman sighed, “we were supposed to receive the money a week ago, but it still hasn’t come yet…”

            A little boy waving a rag doll ran past them with a wailing girl toddling after him. The woman stopped him and asked for the doll, but the boy simply stuck his tongue out and ran off.

            “Well,” Brook said resolutely after seeing this, “I’ll start working immediately, if you don’t mind?”

            The woman’s eyes widened. “‘Work’? Simply coming here will inspire funds; there really isn’t a need for someone of your standing to-”

            She was already gone. It took awhile to rally all the children, but she managed it eventually. Once she had them all sitting quietly sucking on candy she brought with her, Brook started.

            “Today,” she announced, “is Cleaning Day. It’s a day when everyone pitches in and helps tidy up the house.”

            This was met with loud voices of protest.

            “Well,” Brook sighed sadly, “I guess that I won’t be able to show you guys a rainbow then.”

            “We’ve already seen rainbows before,” a little girl piped up.

            “But can you make one?”

            “You can’t make rainbows!”

            “With a little magic and good weather you can.”

            “Who cares about a stupid rainbow anyway,” a boy grumbled.