Chapter 6

Ouch...

Definitely NOT a date...

Not that I wanted it to be one anyway, I think. Its just that Monica had engraved the idea inside my mind.

His friend then left, leaving the both of us alone, and leaving me wearing a blush of roses on my face, out of complete embarrassment. Then his phone rang, he answered it far from me, his face pilled up with anger.

The rest of that hiking trip was kind of awkward not going to lie, but we still cracked some jokes and had a good time. I was acting very normal after him calling me a friend, it didn't bother me, or at least I acted as if it didn't, but he was the one acting really weird and I had no clue why.

Nick then walked me back to my hotel room, I had told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. I held out my hand to knock on the door, because I had forgotten my card key inside, before my hand could reach the door, Monica had already swung the door wide open, blowing a rush of wind at my face. She stood tall, trying to contain her excitement in front of Nick.

-" Hey guys!" Monica raised her voice.

Nick greeted her back, gave me a really weird hug and left.

Monica slammed the door shut and started jumping in circles around me.

-" Soo, how was it?! Spill everything!" she added with a squeaky voice.

I pressed my lips against each other and replied:" Listen Mon, it was just a fun hangout between two friends nothing more." 

-" But he walked you back, come on something for sure happened between the two of you." she said still hopeful.

-" Yeah something did happen actually." I replied, Monica sat up raising both her eyebrows. " He called me a good friend, you like that?"

-" Ohh, Addison, I'm so sorry." she got up and gave me a kind hug, Monica can sometimes really get on my nerves, but she was my person and we were always there for one another no matter what.

-" You know what his loss! He didn't deserve you anyway." she insisted.

A big smile lit up my face, and for a minute everything felt fine.

_______________________________________

The night came around, and I was sitting by the window, pressing my nose against the cool surface, feeling  my breath fog up the glass. I slowly close my eyes to the sound of a soft pitter-patter rushing gently through the wind. Raindrops, constantly reminding me that clouds have a heartbeat. Always emptying their pockets over the earth.

-" Which dress should I wear?" Monica asks, interrupting my thoughts.

-" Probably the silky blue one, it brings out your eyes and it always fits you perfectly." I responded with no hesitation. 

-" You know you should come, I'll lend you my yellow dress, you'd look stunning." Monica suggested.

-" I don't-" Monica cut me off at half sentence.

-" Girl, loosen up, have some fun, I swear parties don't bite." she begged.

-" Couldn't hurt to have a little fun?" I did have to loosen up, although exhaustion crippled my entire body, my mom, Monica, they were both right, my life was boring enough as it is.

-" YAY, let's get you ready!" Monica responded with joy pulling me from my elbow directly to the bathroom.

Monica put me inside her gorgeous tall yellow dress, and didn't let me take a look until she was completely done with my hair and makeup.

-" Okay, okay , TURN AROUND." Monica finally declared all cheery.

-"Wow."

I stare at my reflection, my body fitted perfectly into that yellow dress, my hair tied up in a bun exposing my neck, and my face gently brushed by natural makeup.

I thanked Monica and gave her a hug, then proceeded to help her with her look.

Monica stood tall in her beautiful silk blue dress, her hair curled, she let it down, her face as natural as mine.

_______________________________________

The party was LOUD, we got inside and the music was at it's highest volume, playing the end of a song I didn't recognize.

Then the loud music stopped and the DJ started playing "505" by arctic monkeys. And as the song got to " But I crumble completely when you cry..." My eyes and Nick's locked from far, he was wearing a black suit, laying his back on a wall, but as he saw me he stood up scanning the silhouette of my structure and my slow movements, making my heart race while butterflies caught fire in my stomach. For a moment it felt like the music had shut down and it was just HIM and I, like the earth had stopped turning, and only we were slowly moving, as if he was touching my soul with his eyes. It was a feeling that I never felt before, and the absolute thought of it terrified me. It felt like one of those book moments.

-" Hey Princess." George slid in, cutting the moment short and blocking my view.

-" Uh yeah hi." I replied in a dry tone, my eyes pacing left and right trying to figure out where Nick went, he wasn't there anymore.

-" Care to dance?" George kept on talking, though I made it very clear I wasn't paying attention to a word he was saying.

-" Um I-" I replied obviously distracted, but he didn't care, he took my hand and dragged me to the dance floor.

Music was playing, and I tried to seem as if I was dancing along, but I kept on thinking about Nick's whereabouts, I had no reason whatsoever to be worried, I just had a really bad feeling.

As I'm still looking around and George is still dancing in a very silly way in front of me, I notice Nick passing briefly through the hallway. I completely shove George out of my way (Which I now thinking back, really feel bad about.) and chase Nick, trying to keep up.

I take one last turn, to find Nick sitting alone in the corner sofa of the lobby, the lobby very much deserted and empty.

-" Nick, are you okay?" I run up to him, trying to walk in the heals I had borrowed from Monica.

He looks up at me and stars for a moment:" You look ( he took a pause) incredible."

I bite my lip and respond: " You don't look so bad yourself."  I replied trying to comfort him, his eyes looked like two buckets of rainwater:

~Deep.

~ Fresh.

~ Teary but yet so clear.

And so HURT.

I grab a chair and sit beside him:" I'm going to ask you this again, are you okay?" I asked placing my hand on his knee.

-" I'm fine, don't worry about me, go back inside have some fun, that guy you were dancing with seems( he took a pause again) nice." he sounded hurt.

-" I don't want to pressure you into telling me anything because I'm not that kind of person and I wouldn't do that, but if there's something bothering you I'm a great listener." I say with light chuckle.

-" It's no big deal, my parents are very unhappy and they decided to stay together " For the kid" which is me, but they never realized that by doing that, they were doing me more harm than good. When I got that phone call up at the hill, my dad was calling and telling me that the divorce papers were final, I'm happy  they finally did it, it just took me by surprise that's all." and like always he spared no detail, one of the things I admired about him.

He was a tough guy, too tough to show pain, yet he still showed ME his despair.

-" Nick I don't know what to say, that's tough-" I was speechless.

-"It's okay you don't have to say anything." he replied laying his head on my shoulder...