Chapter 1

Flashback

"Aurora! Come down here, please!" My father called me. 

"Coming!" I shouted back. I was so excited for today! It was my birthday and we were going on a road trip! Grandpa Hershel wasn't too happy about it because of the disease that was all over the news. "What is it, mom, dad?"

"Here open it," mom said, handing me a present. I looked up at them happily before tearing into it. I handed the wrapping paper to my mom and gently opened the box. Inside was a beautiful dress. It was pink, and it had pink flowers at the top. 

"This is beautiful! Thank you so much!" I cheered. 

"Your welcome, princess. Your our princess Aurora. We thought that dress is kind of like a princess dress, so you could wear it when it's your birthday," dad explained with a smile. 

"I love it," I squealed, running to hug them. 

"Go try it on," mom urged. I nodded and ran back up the stairs. I burst into my room, quickly shedding my clothes and pulling the dress on. I struggled to pull the zipper up but eventually got it. I sat on my bed and pulled the silver heels on. They were too big and I ended up switching them out for some silver flats my parents had gotten me last year. This dress was so fricken pretty! I brushed out the wrinkles and slowly made my way downstairs. 

"You looked beautiful!" Aunt Beth was the first one to notice me, but everybody followed her and complimented me. 

"Thank you!" My 10-year-old self replied with a large grin. I looked over at Otis who had just turned on some music. Then I looked back at dad who had his hand stretched out towards me. 

"May I have this dance, princess Aurora?" Dad asked. 

"You may." If possible, my smile (Much like my dad's) grew larger. I took his hand and he pulled me towards him. We spun around the slightly cramped living room. My dress swirled around me when dad would twirl me. From then on out, it was a family tradition.

End of flashback

"Aurora!" I looked over at mom who was calling my name.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Are you alright? I've been calling you to name a few times," she said.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just wish dad could be here," I told her sadly. She gave me a sad smile, which I returned.

"I know, baby. I know you want your dad here to twirl you around as he does for all your birthdays. If I hadn't pushed to go on that road trip, he'd be here," mom said, her eyes glossy.

"Don't blame yourself. Nobody could've known we'd be surrounded by those people," I said. Mom has always blamed herself but there was really no need to. 

"I love you," mom said while pulling me into a hug. 

"I love you too," I whispered into her ear. At least I still had one parent.

"Alright, I just came to tell you that you can be done with your chores." I nodded. Mom whipped her tears and walked back towards the house. I sat down on the grass, my dress flowing out around me. It was the same dress I had gotten two years ago. I still wore it every birthday, it reminded me of dad. 

"Help!" My head whipped up at the sound. I stood up with a hand over my eyes so I could see better. In the distance was a figure. Was it one of the infected people? 

"MOMMY!" I yelled. My mother came running out in a panic.

"What? Are you hurt," she asked frantically. I shook my head and pointed at the figure. 

"Look!" Mom took the binoculars off the porch and looked into them. I ran towards her.

"What is it? Is it one of the infected?" I asked. She ignored my question and turned to face the door.

"DAD!" She shouted into the house. I took the binoculars from her hand and looked into them. I gasped when I saw a man with a sheriff's hat carrying a bloody boy. Mom ran inside to make sure grandpa was coming. I stayed put in slight shock. Grandpa, Patricia, Jimmy, Aunt Beth, and mom came back out. It looked quite badass if you ask me.

"Was he bit?" Grandpa called out to the man as he came in hearing distance. 

"Shot. By your man," the guy with the sheriff's hat replied. At that, grandpa went running down the stairs. 

"Otis?" Patricia called in fear, also running down the steps. I followed everybody else's steps and also went down the steps. 

"He said find Hershel. Is that you? Help me. Help my boy" The man said, sounding out of breath.

"Get him inside," Grandpa ordered. Mom turned around to face me.

"Sweetheart, why don't you go up to your room?" 

"But-" I tried to protest but she wouldn't let me. 

"Now, please." I sighed and ran up the stairs, in the house, and up to my room, which I shared with Aunt Beth. Ever since mom and I abandoned our house during the apocalypse, we lived here. It gets cramped at times. Mom suggested that since Aunt Beth and I were kind of close in age that we should share a room. Since we were quite close, we gladly agreed. 

"Hurry up," I muttered to myself. I couldn't stop pacing. I had so many questions I couldn't answer. Who was the man? The kid? I ran my hands through my hair. Worst birthday ever. I grabbed a book to attempt to distract myself. After an hour of worrying, and a little reading, I decided to sneak downstairs. I took off my heels and walked down the stairs. In our living room were two men arguing.

"Rick.." I froze when I heard mom's voice. "He needs blood." With that, the men disappeared inside the bedroom. I could hear the child crying and screaming. 

"Stop your killing him!" I faintly heard a shout. I put a hand over my mouth to stop myself from crying. 

"Do it now!" There was another man's shout. I stayed put and just listened to the little boy's cries. Suddenly it went silent and I began to worry. I could only hear muffled voices now. I stayed put just to make sure the screaming was over. Once I thought it was safe enough, I went down another stair. Turns out it wasn't safe. The stair let out a loud 'creek'.

"What are you doing, young lady?" My mom's stern voice appeared. She stood by Otis, looking to be just leaving the bedroom.

"I..uh...I wanted to see if the boy was alright," I told her honestly. 

"He has a bullet in him that was split into six pieces. Hershel just managed to get one out," Otis explained. I don't think mom wanted me to know because she shot him a glare.

"Can I please stay down here?" I asked with pleading eyes. Mom sighed before answering.

"Fine, but only because it's your birthday," Mom reluctantly agreed.

===========================♛===========================

Aurora's Outfit