1945: Another Mission

Evangeline's POV:

"Schmidt is transporting Zola on a train headed south. We can intercept it in the mountains," I stated turning to Jennifer who stood beside me, "Tell the boys to saddle up. They need to be off the found in an hour if we plan on catching this train."

She nodded and hurried off. I started mapping out the supposed route based off what we'd intercepted from Hydra airwaves. It seems oue base demolition has finally pushed Schmidt near the edge. Where he was sending Zola, I wasn't sure. I just knew we had to take him out. Without his head scientist, Schmidt would be severely weakened. I set up the plan, analysing every inch of it before packing up the information and putting it into a folder.

"The boys will be leaving out of Hangar Six!" I shouted over my shoulder.

I knew someone would relay the message for me. As I walked through the compound, I happened to pass by the mannequin with my suit. A small smile tugged at my lips. It would be fantastic to be put back in action but the boys needed me here directing them.

"Someday we're gonna rock this misogynistic world,! I mumbled under my breath as my fingers brushed the fabric of the suit, "Just not today."

I headed towards the hangar which was in chaos. Mechanics scrambled around preparing the plane A nurse put fir aid supplies in the back just in case. I prayed that we wouldn't need it. Just as the mechanics were finishing, the boys arrived.

"Howling Commandos reporting for duty," Steve announced with a bright smile.

"Five minutes early too," I observed glancing at my watch, "Here is the train's route, possible landing coordinates, drop off areas, and pick up spots."

He took the folder and thumbed through it. The other men began boarding the plane byt Bucky stayed behind with Steve and me.

"You've got everything covered," he chuckled peeking over Steve's shoulder.

"That's my job. Also Stark created these new tracking devices," I replied holding up the small devices.

I pinned them to his shirt and Steve's suit which was under a thick jacket.

"Keep my brother safe alright?" I said straightening Steve's jacket and went onto my tiptoes to give him a soft kiss.

"You act as if I ain't here , Kiddo, " Bucky chuckled grabbing my hand and pulling me towards him.

I smiled up at him. He pulled me into a hug and squeezed gently.

"We'll be home soon," he promised.

"You better be," I warned pulling away from his brotherly hug.

He laughed at my protectiveness. Before I let them both go, I pulled Steve in for one last kiss. Another peck turned into three and then four. Eventually Bucky got annoyed and grabbed Steve by the shoulders..

"Alright lovebirds, let's get a move on," he chuckled steering Steve towards the plane.

"I love you Angel!" Steve shouted over his shoulder with a big grin.

"I love you too Stevie, You too Buck!" I called back smiling and shaking my head.

Them two boys was certainly something else. I headed back to the map room to join the girls that worked on the radios.

"Miss Barnes, Captain Rogers left something for you in there," one of the younger corporals said pointing to my special work area.

With a confused frown, I walked over to check it out. There was a basket as well as a bouquet of flowers and some folded fabric. I got a closer look and saw the fabric was actually a picnic blanket. A smile edge its way onto my face as i picked up the small piece of paper sitting atop the basket.

My Angel,

I know it's been awhile since out last date. This war has kept us both quite busy. After today's raid we'll be done. Hopefully nothing big will happen right after. If nothing does, it's about time we took some leave. Bucky can come too if he wants, but i prefer if it were just the two of us. Don't open the basket before I get back. Just bring it with you when you come to Hangar Six. Then we'll go on a picnic date for the rest of the evening and watch the stars. Geez, I've almost ran out of room and I forgot the second most important part. Go to the closet. Bucky helped me pick it out so I hope you like it.

Love,
Your Stevie

I smiled holding the paper to my chest for a second before giving into my curiosity. I walked out to the closet and opened it. My hand flew to my mouth and a small gasp left my lips at the sight of the dress. It was beautiful. The rich blue colour stood out like a jewel among a pile of rocks. I cautiously took it down and held it against myself. It was too perfect.

"Oh wow"

I turned to see Peggy standing in the doorway. Her eyes widened when they fell on the basket, picnic blanket and flowers.

"How did he even manage?" she breathed in shock walking over.

"I have no idea," I laughed shaking my head.

"that boy is beyond whipped," she snorted.

"Yes I know he is," I commented, "I'm surprised you haven't walked over here to snatch this away and rip it to shreds."

"What?!" she cried with a startled lock.

"Oh as if you don't know," I chuckled becoming aggravated by the seconded., "I see the way you look at him, Pegs. I look at him that way too."

"That's ridiculous!" she scoffed but based off her uneasy look, I knew that I was right.

"Whatever you say. Sometimes you forget that I'm a super soldier designed to analyse every single detail," I giggled softly.

She rolled her eyes and quickly left the room. I'm amazed that I remained so calm. No woman was going to steal a man of mine. I looked around the room and let a smile go wide to the point that my cheeks began hurting. I couldn't wait!