1945: Back in Action

Evangeline's POV:

The Howling Commandos quickly became Hydra's biggest threat. And with Stark here on base working with the stranger power source of Hydra's weapons we had more access to technology. . I used it to our advantage keeping us one step ahead of Schmidt at all times. The bases were falling like flies.

"Captain America to base, Captain America to base."

I jogged over to the radios. The girls working them handed me an extra set of headphones.

"This is base, Captain, Rogers," one of them said into the mic.

"We've got our sight on location four. Should we move out now or wait till tomorrow?" he asked.

I glanced at the maps and diagrams. This base would be the easiest to get into.

"Go by the East Wing," I instructed eyes flickering between the two papers, "Take out the forces there and head towards the centre. Leave a trail, behind you, of explosives. Then get out of there. Detonate them from the outside. You'll punch a hole directly through the facility. Take out the remaining few and bring back their weapons. And for god sake Steve, be careful!"

"Roger that, Miss Barnes," Steve replied.

I could hear the smirk in his voice. I rolled my eyes chuckling.

"Hey when're you changing it to Mrs. Rogers."

Several gasps and snickers rippled through the room when they heard my brother but in. I felt my face heat up a little. From across the room, Peggy gave me a look.

"Come back alive and after this war has ended, we will talk about it," I replied with a small smile.

"Oh come on guys stop flirting on the radios," we heard one of the commandos whine making everyone laugh.

Steve's POV:

Bucky was practically leading the troupe as we headed towards the Hydra base. His words stuck.

"Were you being serious?" I asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"Maybe," he replied, "You've made her happier. Don't make me regret them words."

A little smile crept onto my face but was soon replaced with a frown as I left it alone. We followed Evangeline's plan to the T and knocked out the base in minutes. It was definitely our easiest one yet.

"Commandos to base, Commandos to base," I said into the radio.

"We read ya loud and clear Cap," a cheery voice called back, "Report?"

"Complete demolition. Snagged seven specialized weapons and fifteen regular," I answered watching as the guys messed around ahead of me in the clearing.

"We'll send Stark to pick you boys up tomorrow morning," the girl replied.

The boys decided that a celebratory drink was called for so we headed to one of the local pubs.

"Who's paying?" Johnny asked after drowning his second beer.

"I will since I'm the only one that'll be sober by the end of this," I offered with a smirk.

"Aye as if. If I say you'll be down for the count by six," Jim snorted.

"Should we tell them about your alcohol tolerance?" Bucky chuckled in a hushed voice.

"I'd rather watch them suffer," I replied.

He laughed nodding. It only took seven for Jim to be down for the count. Johnny was right after him. Gerry eventually taped out too. I smirked triumphantly. Some of the others were dancing with girls they'd met. I leaned back in my chair and watched.

"This isn't fair."

I looked up to see Bucky frowning at the guys dancing. I look at him with confusion.

"You should be out there dancing my little sisters socks off," he grumbled, "Not sitting around with these drunk bastards."

"Ye well I'm alright with that but that doesn't explain why your not out there yourself?" I shrugged.

"I'm not in the mood to dance. Anyways, I thought it's about time to have some guy time. With this war we haven't had a proper conversation in a while," he simply said.

"I know I know," I sighed, "We'll be home tomorrow," I promised before nodding to the rows of empty mugs in front of him, "Did you drink all of those?"

He looked at the mugs with a nod.

"Looks like you're not the only one who can slug a few, Punk," he chuckled with a smirk.

I shook my head chuckling.

"Jerk," I mumbled under my breath.

I thought about his strange newfound tolerance. An idea popped into my head instantly. But was it possible? I know Hydra did something to him but they wouldn't go that far. Would they? I was brought out of my thoughts by the sound of a loud blech. I winced as the smell hit me.

"Geez Louise," I groaned fanning the smell away,.

Bucky laughed shaking his head.

"We should head to the airstrip," I suggested standing up.

"What're we gonna do with those two?" Johnny asked jabbing a thumb at the two knocked out guys.

"Just get the others," I answered, "We'll get 'em."

Bucky and I grabbed the two knocked out soldiers while he rounded up the ones that were dancing and drinking in the other areas. It was a pretty long walk from the pub to the airstrip. It was more of a strip of open space in a field than an airstrip. We took turns on guard though it was mostly up to Bucky and me to keep watch. The others were too drunk to keep their heads up.

"Whatcha thinking about Punk? I can see the wheels turning," Bucky called over breaking the silence.

"Were you really serious about the 'Mrs. Rogers' thing?" I questioned looking over at him.

"You're still hung up on that?" he chuckled leaning against a tree.

"Well yeah, that's your baby sister we're talking about," I huffed.

Why was he taking this so lightly. I mean he practically told her that we could get married. Surely a guy wouldn't willingly let his little sister get married without being protective. And yet, here he is now just staring at the field in front of us. He won't even look at me. He was so quiet for so long, I thought he'd dozed off on me.

"I've been thinking about it for some time now actually," he finally admitted still not looking at me. "I mean this war has had loads of twists and turns. I got captured for gods sake. It could happen again and this time I won't get so lucky. So I want Evangeline to be safe if I do. But what's not safer than being in Captain Americas, my best friend and the love of her life's hands."

I didn't answer at first. It was kind of a lot to take in. This was the first time I'd heard Bucky ever talk like this. The goofy guy I've grown to love has never gotten this serious.

"Are you sure?" I murmured not allowing my voice to show it's true emotion.

His head snapped around so fast I thought his neck would snap.

"Am I sure?! Steve, of course I am. As long as you treat her right and I'm best man then go ahead" he shook his head with a smile.

"Thanks man," I smiled, "Just remember that I'm with you-"

"To the end of the line," he finishes patting my shoulder like he did before he left me at the recruitment centre, "Guess I am best man then."

"Well its not like I had the choice," I snorted.