Chapter 20: Lovers

Start from the beginning

The young master was always there. Always by his side, even if it was a needless endeavour. He was there when he ate. When he bathed. Even when he had a visit from the physician. No matter what the occurrence, Yin Jianguo was there. However, somehow it did not feel like he was being babysat. No, it simply felt like the usual pestering he had learnt to expect when the young master was around.

When he suggested a game of Go, Song Mengyao chuckled and asked how he was supposed to play when he could not see the board. Hearing Master Yin insist that he would be his eyes, speaking each move aloud, brought a subtle smile to the prince's face.

So, they played. And for quite some time. When one game ended, another began. They could have played all day long without disturbance if they so wished, but there were other things that needed to be done.

By the time his other wounds had healed for the most part, Song Mengyao began to train himself. Fighting without eyesight was challenging, near impossible in fact, but he was determined to learn how to do it.

At first, Master Yin laughed when he missed every blow, his blade cutting through nothing but the cold air as he missed each target. As the days turned into weeks, however, he began to figure things out.

Every little crunch in the snow, each snap of a twig. He would listen to everything, determining any sign of movement. He only attacked, however, when he was certain he knew where his target was.

He taught himself to recognise the sound of a blade or fist coming toward him at speed. He learnt how to effectively seize up the surrounding terrain, knowing that there may be times when he would need to move around an area quickly even without his sight. If they were to come under attack from monsters, demons, or otherwise; he would need to be prepared.

Master Yin watched in awe as the prince took in every new skill, making it his own in a matter of days. His determination and courage were admirable, a quality that only got more attractive as each day passed by.

Before long, well over a month had passed since the wedding and much had changed. For starters, Song Guang and Zheng Jinghua returned from their trip. It was no surprise to the young prince to hear that his elder sister was with child, as he knew his brother was keen to soon have children of his own.

Their children would be the future of the Song Sect as Song Guang would one day lead their Sect with his beautiful wife by his side. Of course, Song Guang had not only that in mind when they tried for an heir. His duty to his family simply overlapped with his own wishes this time. It was good news amongst troubling times. News no one quite realised they needed to hear.

Empress Song was on cloud nine, much too excited to become a grandmother than any of her children thought she would be. It was pleasant though, in the joy it brought to the palace. Even Song Mengyao seemed to be in better spirits, smiling more often than not when he spoke with his brother or elder sister.

There was one thing that had been on the young master's mind, however. Something that little had been spoken of since the day his mother left. Meixiu's engagement to Song Mengyao.

The prince had not uttered even a word about it, although it was not as though the young master was going to ask. He did not wish to hear the prince's decision. If he had even come to one yet.

Song Yun would decline or, at least, he hoped he would. However, there was always the possibility that he wouldn't and that he would agree to marry the young master's sister. It made sense, of course, and it was not as if he had any other suitor. There was no sweetheart, no maiden frequenting his bedchambers, so it seemed an obvious choice to consider a union with the young daughter of the Yin Clan.