Chapter 85: Covenantor (VIII)

Start from the beginning

Lu Xiufan introduced Shang Ke to the Queen, Queen Consort, and prince as Yue Ze, the son of the Yue Family's patriarch.

There was a flash of surprise in the Queen's eyes. It was clear from Lu Xiufan's tone that he cared for this young master of Yue Family. After carefully examining Shang Ke and seeing that he bore outstanding looks and an elegant personality, she was satisfied.

"Yue Ze, is your younger brother called 'Yue Xuan'? He is on the guest list as well, why don't you introduce him to us later?" The Queen consort suggested with a bright smile. Both he and the Queen had approved the guest list, and upon hearing the name 'Yue Ze', he immediately recalled Yue Xuan.

The Queen quietly shot her husband a look before saying, "Yue Ze, make yourself at home. Have Xiufan take you around to enjoy the sights."

She was more insightful than Lu Xiuqi. Yue Ze had come as Lu Xiufan's partner and the official guest list only listed the second son Yue Xuan, not the eldest, Yue Ze. It was clear there was more to this story. Any introductions should be up to Yue Ze to initiate.

After going through his introductions, Lu Xiufan took Shang Ke to the VIP lounge.

Shang Ke hadn't thought that Yue Xuan would come, but after glancing over the room, he found his brother among the crowd surrounding the prince. By all accounts, because of Yue Xuan's identity and the prince's bad impression of him, he shouldn't have been invited at all.

"Yue Xuan's mother has a close relationship with the other court women." Lu Xiufan explained as if reading Shang Ke's thoughts.

Ah. Shang Ke looked away, picked up a plate, and started selecting dishes for Lu Xiufan.

Lu Xiufan lounged on a sofa, sipping at a glass of wine while watching Shang Ke carefully picking and choosing from the table of food, his gaze focused and intense.

Shang Ke brought a heaping plate of food to the glass table in front of Lu Xiufan, then went back to get one for himself before returning and sitting a little apart from Lu Xiufan. Immediately Lu Xiufan shifted to sit beside Shang Ke, one hand coming to rest on the back of the sofa behind him, the other lightly holding a glass of wine.

All the people at the banquet were busy socializing. Only the two of them sat in the corner calmly enjoying the gourmet food, as if the outside world had nothing to do with them.

For a moment, Lu Xiufan's drinking faltered before immediately returning to normal.

Once the Birthday Celebration Ceremony began, Lu Xiufan went on stage to make an appearance, enduring the speeches, acknowledgements, and stream of toasts before dragging Shang Ke towards the Queen to say their goodbyes.

The Queen was familiar with his personality and didn't try to detain him, only exhorting Shang Ke to take good care of Lu Xiufan.

The two men left the palace and drove straight back to the mansion.

Halfway through the drive back, Lu Xiufan asked out of the blue, "Do you have antidotes in your first aid kit?"

Shang Ke immediately turned to look at him, and seeing that Lu Xiufan's muscles were stiffening and his face was turning purple, couldn't help but be alarmed.

Lu Xiufan added, "The wine I drank seems to have spoiled."

The wine prepared to be served in the palace was spoiled? Spoiled my arse! The ill-looking Shang Ke immediately grabbed Lu Xiufan's wrist to take his pulse.

Shang Ke took a moment to compose his expression, before bending down, pulling out the first aid kit from under his seat, and handing Lu Xiufan a tube of medicine. He then took out a silver needle and pricked the tips of his fingers, causing beads of dark red blood to immediately drip out.