Chapter 22: You Are My Faith (III)

TL : Snowy Codex

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, teacher Gwyn asked Shang Ke whether or not he was willing to go with them to the imperial capital and live with Kaiser. They could think about what to do later.

Shang Ke naturally agreed as it was the result he had wanted. Since he wanted to seal the Devil's Tree, then he would need to rely on Kaiser.

The people of Turan Continent did not know how to seal the Devil's Tree yet. They had to gather at least seven types of righteous faith energy, and then seal the Devil's Tree with the help of a magic crystal. The stronger their powers of faith and the more types there are, the greater the chance that the seal will be successful.

Although magic crystal were precious, they were not really a rare thing. The truly difficult part was getting through the wall of devil qi and approaching the Devil's Tree.

It was a hellish trip that tested one's willpower and faith, and those who do not have a firm nature are unable to embark on the journey. Once a crack appears in your heart, then you will be poisoned by the Devil's Tree, lose yourself, and even turn back to attack your own companions.

According to future development, even Kaiser and his group of warriors would experience failure twice, sacrificing hundreds of man before finally arriving in the center of the abyss' marsh. With the power of seven people, they barely managed to seal the Devil's Tree.

The last time they participated in that mission, there were over two hundred warriors. After the seal was completed, there were barely five that survived. One third of them had died from their companions that suddenly fell to the darkness. It really caused them a lot of sorrow.

This kind of "clairvoyance" was Shang Ke's only advantage at the moment. Not only did he know how to seal the Devil's Tree earlier than others, but he also knew who the other six warriors that would seal the Devil's Tree with Kaiser were.

After they broke down their camp, Shang Ke and Kaiser's group all left for Watcher City. The city was located at the edge of the marsh's abyss, and it was surrounded by devil qi all year round. As such, most of the people that travelled around here were soldiers and experienced mercenaries. The common person simply did not dare to tread here.

When they had just entered the city, Shang Ke could feel the devil qi in his body bubbling and moving. Drifting devil qi was entering his body from his surroundings. This kind of devil qi usually did not take the initiative to enter one's body, and it would only be pulled into the bodies of those whose hearts hold negative thoughts. Darkness also rises in locations where populations gather.

Many devil apostles were hidden in this city, and as a King level apostle, Shang Ke could easily feel the existence of every low ranking apostle. But not every person whose body had been invaded by the devil qi was an "apostle".

There were usually three stages to the devil qi invading the body.

During the initial stage of invasion, the person would subconsciously fight the devil qi, which results in a power conflict. They would feel a lot of pain, before going crazy. This kind of invasion was easily noticeable, and as long as they were treated in time, they could still return to normal.

The middle stage of invasion would usually happen with those who either harbored evil schemes or were very weak. They would very easily surrender to the devil qi's induction and become a slave to the Devil's Tree. A small number of the stronger ones could become low ranking apostles, who were able to hide the devil qi within their bodies and were no different from everyday people. However, so long as they meet someone with great faith, then they would have difficulty controlling themselves and want to attack.