26. I JUST WOKE UP FROM A COMA

"Have you lost weight?"

I gasp and turn around to find Nick leaning against the doorframe.

"When did you get here and why are you out of bed?" I ask placing the knife on the chopping board.

"I heard you were making steaks so I asked Ezra to drop me here. He's with Eli in the living room." He replies with a cheeky grin.

"And I would have brought it over. The doctors advised you to take proper rest." I argue.

"I called Savannah, she said it's fine. Besides, it's been a week and a half already." He shrugs.

"You know, you used to come running to me whenever you saw me but now you're just standing there exactly eight feet away from me and I feel absolutely hurt that I haven't been hugged and kissed by my girl in about-" he paused to look at his watch, "two minutes and thirty-three seconds."

I open my mouth but he speaks again, "Thirty-four now."

Shaking my head while chuckling, I walk over to where he is standing and wrap my arms around him instantly feeling at home.

"I missed you." I mumble in his shirt.

He kisses the top of my head and rests his head above mine afterward, "I missed you too, bambi."

My fingers curled around the back of his shirt because I did not want to let go, not yet. I have hugged him like this after so long but I never forgot the feeling.

I can never forget anything when it comes to him.

"As much as I am enjoying this, the sauce in that pan will burn and set the kitchen on fire." He states.

I pull back in a second and run to turn off the flame, "Thank you, I love you." I say, placing a hand over my heart.

I freeze when I realize the words that had come tumbling out of my mouth. I mean, sure, I have confessed to him already but it was the second time that I was actually saying it out loud to him.

Silence.

I swallow quietly and turn around to gauge his reaction. He was now sitting on the barstool, his blue eyes scrutinizing me under his intense gaze.

His head tilts to the side as soon as I open my mouth again but no sound comes out so I stand there looking like a fish for a solid minute.

He finally decides to take me out of my misery and replies, "I know. I love you, too."

I clear my throat awkwardly as my face heats up causing him to chuckle in response. I turn my back to him once again and start chopping the vegetable, trying to collect myself.

A minute later, I feel a presence behind me, and Nick's arms come to circle around me before he places his hands above both of mine and starts slicing the carrots.