Surprise Surprise

January 31, 2007
Los Angeles, California

Davina Hayes

"I'm sorry that I couldn't be with you, I wish I could." Matthew said on the other end of the phone. He got called into work last month. His show got renewed for season 3, so while we were in Oregon, he had to fly back to California to do table reads and start filming. So we didn't celebrate New Years together because we was in two different states.

Today is my last day of tour and I'm currently in LA at the staples center. Don't get me wrong, I love touring, but I can't wait to be on break and just make more music.

"It's alright babe, I understand." I told him, I sighed. I really wish he was here for my last show, but he has to film and I can't pry him away from that.

"I know you'll kill it tonight like you always do." He said to me. I smiled, even though he can't see.

"Thank you baby, I'll see you when I get home I guess."

"If me and the rest of the cast don't have to stay overtime."

"Alright, I love you. Tell everyone I said hello."

"I love you too. Will do." He said as he hung up.

"Dee, showtime." My manager said as she enters my dressing room.

***

"You guys havin fun out there, tonight?!" I said in my mic. The crowd is going crazy.

I love my fans.

"I'm having a blast with you all. Now, sadly this is my last show of my tour so I'm gonna make it extra special for you guys tonight. If you guys follow me on social media, you would know that I have a new single coming out tomorrow, and as a special treat for you I'm gonna perform it right here right now." Everyone was cheering and I smiled so wide.

I love spoiling my fans.

"Unfortunately, my fiancé Matthew couldn't be here tonight so I can't sing it to him, since it's about him." The crowd aw'ed.

"But that's okay, he's busy working. Which I don't know if I'm authorized to tell you this, but Criminal Minds has been renewed for season 3 and they're currently in production of filming! How exciting is that!" Everyone was so happy and excited.

"Okay let's get this show on the road. This new song is called 'That's Me Right There,' hit it." The instrumentals started playing and I started dancing to the beat.

Nobody gotta tell me how to do it
I took 'em from the start, I can hold it down
I can't even lie, I'm the truest
Put that on everything, on everything

I walked around the stage and reached out to the crowd to touch their hands.

What can I say?
Anytime, anyplace I be on it
Not many know what it takes
How to handle this lady, yeah own it

The crowd started going crazy all of a sudden and I looked at them with confusion and I see them pointing behind me and I stopped singing and turned around.

The music stopped and guess who it is? Matthew and the rest of the Criminal Minds cast.

I smiled and shook my head in shock.

"Sorry to ruin the party, but we wanted to know if we could join too?" Shemar Moore said into a mic. I laughed as he started to dance.

"Surprise babe!" Matthew said to me and he came and hug me. The crowd cheered.

"This is some surprise." I said as I see the whole cast with signs and dressed in my merch.

"Alright guys, you really are in for a treat." I said to the audience. "And since Matthews here..." I smirked at him and pointed at the dj and he continued the song.

Baby believe me this won't ever stop
I can make this look easy, got this on lock
Yeah, that's me right there
Yeah, that's my man

I danced around him and stood next to him and I had one hand holding my mic and my other hand was placed on his neck and slid down and I ended up squatting. And then I stood back up.

The cast was still on stage, cheering us on with the audience.

***

It was the end of the night and I'm getting my things together in my dressing room. I heard a knock on my door and I opened it.

"Oh my god, you guys!" It was the cast. I hugged them all.

"This was such a great surprise tonight, thank you for coming out tonight. I really appreciated it, I hope you guys enjoyed yourself." I said to them.

"Trust me, best concert I've been too by far." Kirsten told me.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you guys ever wanna come on the road with me while you're not filming, I'll be glad to have you." I told them.

"And you gotta teach me some of those moves." Shemar said. We laughed.

"I will. Hey, feel free to grab some food at the tables and any merch you see." I told them.

"Okay great! We actually came to see if you wanted to join us? We're heading to the club. We should celebrate on behalf of ending your tour." Paget asked me.

"Not tonight, I'm sorry maybe another night? I'm just beat." I apologized to her.

"No worries, just text me if anything." She said as they all left.

I looked around the room if I forgot anything before heading out. As I exit the staples center, I see Matthew waiting for me by our car.

I kissed him and hugged him.

"Tired?" He asked.

"Exhausted. Too many shows, too many cities. But in the end, it's all fun and worth it." I said giving him another kiss.

"Let's go home." He told me. Opening up my car door.

"Aren't you going out with the cast? They said they were heading to the club." I asked him when he came in the car.

"Not really my scene, plus we've been away from each other for about a month and I miss you."

"I miss you too baby." I said to him and I held his hand while he's driving home.