Chapter 55: A+A (III)

Start from the beginning

The arthropods sensed that their Queen was captured and flew into a rage. They gave up their siege of the city and started to pursue the fighter aircrafts like a wave.

The soldiers who still fought bitterly with the arthropods immediately noticed the shift in the direction of the onslaught and saw that the enemy was chasing after three fighter aircraft who flew far from the defensive line. The soldiers were quick to understand what happened.

Their commander left while carrying the Queen and leading away the arthropod army. The commander ring's signal light disappeared in the distant horizon like a fading star.

Via City was temporarily relieved. The soldiers took the time to rest, reorganize and survive. But they couldn't help but feel that their young second lieutenant would never come back to them.

"Sir!" The soldiers face the horizon and shouted loudly.

The three aircraft quickly arrived at the edge of the storm. If they moved forward just a bit more, their operating system would malfunction.

Shang Ke jumped off the aircraft and told the other three, "You lot can return, leave the rest to me"

"Sir!" The three pilots spoke at the same time.

"You aren't wearing protective gear, so following me would be useless." Shang Ke picked up the suitcase carrying the Queen and then rushed into the storm without looking back.

The three pilots raised their hands and saluted in the direction Shang Ke disappeared to, their eyes glistening with tears.

Shang Ke had researched the topography of the surroundings of Via City. Around seven or eight miles away from here was a natural moat several hundred meters long around a separated rock form. He planned to hang the Queen on the steep cliff about fifty to sixty meters away from the moat. If the arthropods want to save their Queen, they would likely have to expend a lot of time and energy to do so.

Shang Ke controlled the pace of his breathing, drawing his strength to the limits, and ran like a burst of uncontrollable wind, madly rushing through the storm.

Despite being utterly exhausted, there was also a feeling of elatedness, as if his entire person was about to fly.

He never knew that his physical ability was actually this good, to be able to run for so long despite fighting for several days and nights.

The arthropod army was chasing from behind him so he could not stop at all. The earlier he gets rid of the Queen, the higher the chance he will have of living.

He did not know how long had been, but Shang Ke finally arrived at his destination. From behind, the earthquake-like shaking of the arthropod army followed.

Shang Ke did not dare dally. He slung the bow over his shoulder and loaded an arrow, then targeted the cliff and shot. The arrowhead flew straight and lodged itself tightly into a crack on the cliff. Attached to the nock of the arrow was a steel wire leading down to Shang Ke.

He quickly turned around and ran for a rock on another cliff, before climbing agilely to the top. He squatted and quietly watched the activity below.

Most of the arthropods in Via City were drawn away by Shang Ke. The few remaining were no longer able to threaten the defensive line. The soldiers followed the original procedure and split into groups to fight.

This was their chance to live given to them by their Second Lieutenant Filmore in exchange for his life. All the soldiers gathered their strength and fought the final battle.

The eighth day passed, the ninth day passed... The prediction that the arthropod army could only be delayed for two days was proven false on the ninth day with its continued absence.